Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sweet Potato Green Salad With Tomato Curry Dressing


When I first envisioned this salad I imagined the sweet potatoes being orange. I was a little disappointed that I bought white sweet potatoes. How on earth do you tell an orange sweet potato from a white one?
Anyway.... I decided to make the dressing colorful and add a few little carrot hearts so I could still get my orange color in there. 
Yes...I actually cut the carrots into little heart shapes. 
I was bored while waiting for the sweet potatoes to bake. 
Heart-carrots are totally optional but, FYI, they do look really cute. 
The dressing is super yummy. I started out just wanting to make a dressing that was orange or red to add some color to the greens and ended up with my new favorite flavor. 
Let me know what you think!


Sweet Potato Green Salad With Tomato Curry Dressing

Dressing
1 large tomato, quartered
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 clove garlic
salt & pepper
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 cup olive oil

Salad
1 medium sweet potato, diced into small cubes
sprinkle seasoning salt
1/2 head lettuce, chopped
4 cups spinach, torn
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 radishes, sliced
1 small purple bell pepper, diced (or red if you can't find purple)
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese

Directions
Prepare dressing - In a blender or food processor, blend tomato, vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper, curry, cumin, and paprika until smooth. With blender (or food processor) running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until incorporated. 
Refrigerate dressing until ready to use. 
Prepare salad - Preheat oven to 400. Spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray. Spread out the diced sweet potato in the prepared pan. Lightly spray the cubes with cooking spray and sprinkle with the seasoning salt. 


Bake at 400 until cubes are fork tender, about 15 - 20 minutes, depending on size. Turn off oven and keep sweet potato warm.
Place 1/2 of the lettuce on a serving plate with 1/2 of the spinach. Top with 1/2 of the onion, 1/2 of the radishes, 1/2 of the purple pepper, and 1/2 of the bacon. 
Top with 1/2 of the warm sweet potato cubes and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese. Place the remaining ingredients on another serving plate OR into a container to eat later.


Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy.
According to Myfitness pal:
Salad - 278 calories, 36 carbs, 10 fat, 15 protein
Dressing (2 Tbsp) - 47 calories, 1 carb, 5 fat, 0 protein.
Total for 1 serving (salad part of recipe makes 2, dressing recipe makes ~10 or 11 servings):
325 calories, 37 carbs, 15 fat, 15 protein.


I'm thinking I'm going to take some of the extra dressing and try it on pasta. The tomato-curry mix is addicting. 


For tone of fun foody links be sure to visit Carole's Chatter!

No comments:

Post a Comment