Thursday, September 26, 2013

Brussels Sprouts Bacon Slaw


It would have never occurred to me to take Brussels sprouts and turn them into slaw. 
I came across this recipe in a flyer that came in the mail - I didn't keep it so I have no idea where it came from, sorry about that. 
It was just dressing with Brussels sprouts which I kinda thought was a little boring. I added some bacon and veggies to add some color. 
Turns out I like this version even better than cabbage slaw. It is super creamy because of the dressing BUT never seems to get soggy, which is a huge plus. No one likes soggy salad.


Brussels Sprouts Bacon Slaw

Ingredients
Dressing
1/2 cup light mayo
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp wasabi paste
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey
salt & pepper

Slaw
4 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed
1/2 small carrot
1/2 small onion
2 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, milk, wasabi, lemon juice, honey, and salt & pepper until smooth. Store, covered, in fridge until ready to use.


In a food processor using the shredding blade, process Brussels sprouts. Then shred carrot and onion into the sprouts. Scrape into a bowl and sprinkle in the crumbled bacon. 


Stir to combine.
Mix in the dressing - I used all of it - and then let sit in fridge to chill for at least an hour before serving. 


Note - If you don't have wasabi paste you can substitute horseradish. (I used the wasabi packets I got with my sushi the day before!)
Try this recipe the next time you are asked to bring a salad to a gathering. It will be a good conversation starter. You can ask everyone to guess what it is made of!
Oh, also, you do NOT have to cook the Brussels sprouts. They are shredded raw. 

Be sure to visit Carole's Chatter for some great links!

1 comment:

  1. Soggy salad is the pitts.
    I'm totally telling my dad about this. He loves brussels sprouts more than anyone I've ever met (he grows them in his garden). I'm digging wasabi in the dressing. Thanks for sharing with my potluck this week!

    ReplyDelete