Friday, September 6, 2013

Chicken Reuben Bake


I wasn't actually planning on doing a blog about this recipe.
See... our mother found this recipe card in the ancient box of recipe clippings in the cupboard and decided to make this. 
It did not sound appealing to me at all.
I know...I know...I'm a little too judge-y sometimes. 
Anyway....mom whipped this up in 2 seconds and it turned out ridiculously good. It is one of those recipes that you are either going to love or hate. I don't even like sauerkraut and I thoroughly enjoyed this. It is so different - which can be just what you are looking for sometimes! 


Chicken Reuben Bake

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
1 jar sauerkraut (about 2 cups), rinsed and drained
5 large slices Swiss cheese 
salt & pepper
1 cup Thousand Island Dressing

Directions
Preheat oven to 325. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer with the rinsed sauerkraut. Layer on the Swiss cheese so it covers the entire dish. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the Thousand Island Dressing over the cheese and spread to distribute evenly. 
Cover and bake at 325 for approx 1 1/2 hours, until chicken is done. (**NOTE - the temperature says 325 NOT 350.) Serve hot. 


The chicken is so moist and tender done this way. Depending on how hot your oven runs you may need to cook it less time - just check with a meat thermometer for proper done-ness.
Sounds weird, right?
I totally did NOT think I was going to like it.  I didn't take any photos of the prep because I thought our mother was crazy for making it.
Turns out all that melty Swiss cheese on top of that moist chicken and the sauerkraut and dressing combine into some sort of magic new flavor. 
Sorry for thinking you were crazy mom. Sometimes you have some good great ideas. :)
 
Be sure to stop by Or So She Says and The Chicken Chick and Hun...What's For Dinner? and Feeding Big and Memories By The Mile for some fantabulous links!

15 comments:

  1. This sounds really YUMMY! Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore all things Reuben and agree, this sounds unusual at first read, but I think it's worth a try- I love all the ingredients in it, so it's got to be good! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this! I am so happy you shared it with us! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making this for years and love it. One variation that I do is to cut the chicken breasts into some nice sized hunks instead of leaving them whole. That makes it a bit easier to serve more than just four people, particularly if you have a couple of young ones in the gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this for years! It's always a favorite, quick meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried it and served it up to my doubting husband and we loved it! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you and your hubby enjoyed it Loretta. :)

      Delete
  8. Is there a vegetable that you would suggest to go in this casserole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I would add any vegetables to the casserole but you could certainly serve it with vegetables on the side. I would think roast veggies like carrots, zucchini, squash, something like that would be great alongside.

      Delete
  9. This was so delishous, my husband request it often. So easy!!!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Added some rye bread croutons. Amazing! Best chicken recipe ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made this for years. The recipe was on the back of a bag oo fresh kraut and included sliced red onion layered on the chicken breast halves. I lost the recipe and thanks to Pinterest I now have it back. Excellent crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete