Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hot Dog Salad With Honey Mustard Dressing


Two things before we get to this recipe:
1. Apparently putting a hot dog in a salad is "weird" if you ask anyone.
2. I and my coworkers are still 13 years old at heart. 
The reason I say the above is because I didn't think it was that unusual to make a hot dog salad. I love hot dogs. They are one of my favorite things. But, according to about 99% of the people I mentioned this recipe to, hot dog salad is either weird, or gross, or funky. 
For the record....it is a little weird, it is not gross - it is delicious, and it is a wee bit funky. I happen to enjoy weird and funky sometimes so I am not complaining. 
And, I say that my coworkers and I are still 13 years old because it was impossible to have a conversation about the ingredients of this salad with being caught in a fit of the giggles. 
Why, you ask?
One word...... WIENERS.
You try saying, "I like wieners" in a room of of women. See if giggles don't break out.


Hot Dog Salad With Honey Mustard Dressing

Ingredients
Dressing
1/2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1/2 Tbsp light mayo
1 - 2 tsp milk

Salad
1 chicken wiener, sliced
2 cups lettuce, chopped
1 slice onion, diced
4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together honey, mustard, mayo, and enough milk to thin a little. Set aside.
In a small frying pan over medium heat, cook sliced wieners until hot.
On your serving plate, place the chopped lettuce. Sprinkle evenly with onion, tomato, and cheese. Top with the hot wiener slices. Drizzle with the dressing.
Serve.


The whole recipe (as listed above) is one serving. 
I prepped enough veggies, meat, and cheese for 2 salads and put half into a container for my lunch the next day (you can see the container in the background of the photo above.)
This is a great lunch or dinner for under 400 calories. 
I used a chicken wiener because I like them but you can use a beef wiener if you prefer. FYI - That will change the nutritional counts though. 
According to Myfitnesspal: 
SALAD - 300 calories, 25 carbs, 10 fat, and 18 protein.
DRESSING - 75 calories, 11 carbs, 2 fat, and 1 protein.
That's a total - 375 calories, 36 carbs, 12 fat, and 19 protein.
Plus...you get to tell everyone you like to eat hot wieners. *giggle*
 
Don't forget to stop by Ms. enPlace and The Velvet Moon Baker and Easy Life and Chef In Training and Hun...What's For Dinner? and Carole's Chatter for some fun and tasty links!

6 comments:

  1. I love all things salad, so I pinned this immediately. :-)
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! I'm trying to learn to love salads so I love the salad-as-a-meal idea :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not in a room full of women. It's just me. But I'm still giggling!
    I have to wonder if adding hot dogs will get my son to eat salad?
    Thanks for linking!
    P.S. there's nothing wrong with weird and funky. Own it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! You are so right you can't say wiener without giggling. Thank you for sharing it on our BBQ Block Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like weiners!!! LOL

    This salad is fabulous and the plus is my kids would definitely eat it too. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete