Sunday, April 7, 2013

Singapore Noodles (Using Spaghetti Squash)


One of my favorite dishes from our local Chinese food restaurant is called Singapore Noodles. What it is, in case you haven't been lucky enough to try it, is a dish of stir fried, curried  rice-vermicelli noodles and vegetables served as a vegetarian dish or it can be accompanied by small slices of chicken, beef, pork, or prawns.
My version has chicken and bacon!
Oh, yeah, my version also uses spaghetti squash as the "noodles" instead of rice-vermicelli.
Wait...
what?
Yes.
That is what I said.
There is no actual noodles in this dish. I thought the photo looked very noodle-y. It felt noodle-y too.
It tastes amazing, if I do say so myself.
Plus...it is super fast to whip up. I think it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Plus... you can customize it to suit your tastes - which veggies and meat you prefer.
Okay, I admit, it isn't a traditional Singapore Noodle dish but it comes pretty close as far as taste and texture go.


Singapore Noodles (using Spaghetti Squash)

Ingredients
1 tsp coconut oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced
2 pieces bacon, diced
2 cups zucchini, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp curry powder
3 cups spaghetti squash, cooked (1 large)
1 Tbsp Greek yogurt

Directions
In a large wok or saucepan, heat coconut oil. Add chicken and bacon and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add in zucchini and garlic.
Cook and stir until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with curry powder and stir to coat.


Stir in the 3 cups of spaghetti squash. Cook and stir until squash is heated through. 
Just before removing from heat, stir in the Greek yogurt.
Serve hot.


A couple of notes: I really like the flavor of the coconut oil with the curry. You can use any oil but it will change the flavor.
I didn't have any problem with excess water from the zucchini or squash but, if you do, you can simply drain it from the pan.
To cook the squash I simply poke it with a knife a few times and microwave it for 5 - 10 minutes, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and then shred with a fork. You can do this up ahead of time or while you are prepping the veggies, etc...
Want to hear some fantabulous news?
According to Fitday, the nutritional values are:
500 calories, 28.5 fat, 47 carbs, 26 protein.
That is for the ENTIRE recipe. It could technically be a single serving.
I had half for dinner and it was A LOT to eat.
250 calories for dinner? Whaaaaaaat?
Plus it is full of Vit B6, Vit B12, Vit C, Vit A, fiber, iron, niacin, zinc, blah blah blah! Sooo much good stuff!
I've been told I exhibit a lot of enthusiasm when I share a recipe I like.
Can you blame me on this one?

Looking for some fun and exciting links? Check out Chef In Training and Memories By The Mile and Hungry Little Girl and The Busy Bees and The Mandatory Mooch and Carole's Chatter.

7 comments:

  1. I will def be trying this...it looks/sounds wonderful. I love substituting spagetti squash in pasta recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it. I love curry dishes - especially healthy ones :)

      Delete
  2. Looks so delicious. I have been to Singapore but I haven't tried this dish yet. I'm so excited to try making it on my own. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    - MiracleNoodle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Where in singapore can I buy spaghetti squash?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charmaine, I'm afraid we can't help you out with that one..... Perhaps you could check where vegetables are sold and ask if they carry it? Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Looking to make this for a family of four. Will this be enough? Or should I up some of the ingredients, like the amount of chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are serving this as a side dish, it may be enough. If this is the main dish then, no, it won't be enough. It is only 2 servings. For 4 you would need to double the recipe.

      Delete