Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sticky Maple Date Popcorn

 
Ready to have your mind blown?
This popcorn is as sweet and tasty as caramel popcorn but is better for you.
It's true. No need for butter, corn syrup, or cups and cups of sugar.
Sue said she found this to be sweeter than my usual caramel popcorn recipe. I didn't think so...but then...I'm not as weird as Sue is.
I guess you will have to be the judge!
 
 
Sticky Maple Date Popcorn
(Adapted from: Alive Magazine, September 2012)
 
Ingredients
7 medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
12 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup salted peanuts
 
Direction
Cover dates with hot water (from tap is hot enough) and let soak for at least an hour, up to 2.
 
 
Placed soaked dates, 2 Tbsp of soaking liquid, maple syrup, and vanilla in Magic Bullet or blender.
 
 
Blend until smooth.
Preheat oven to 225. Lightly spray cookie tray with cooking spray. Set aside.
Transfer maple date mixture to a small saucepan and bring to low boil, stirring frequently.
 
 
In a large bowl, pour mixture over popcorn and peanuts and toss to coat evenly.
Spread onto prepared cookie tray and place in oven for 20 minutes. Stir the popcorn at the halfway mark to cook evenly.
 
 
Remove from oven and serve immediately OR let cool, stirring a few times to break up, and serve at room temp.
IMPORTANT NOTE - When you pop the popcorn be sure to pick out any unpopped kernels! I used a regular bag of microwave popcorn + a mini bag. As long as you have between 10 to 12 cups you will be fine.
The popcorn does go a little soggy when you toss the maple date sauce on it but it dries out and crisps back up again in the oven. Be sure to leave it in the oven for the full 20 minutes at least. I tend to stir it every 5 or so minutes so it dries evenly but that's not really necessary.
I'm just paranoid.
As long as you stir it halfway it should be fine.
I was really pleasantly surprised by how delicious this was. I was thinking, "Ooooh, a vegan health food recipe. This might be scary..."
You'd think I would know better by now.
I'm addicted.
Our mother says she still prefers my usual Caramel Popcorn recipe but, if we are being totally honest here, I may be leaning towards this one as my favorite.
Pretty bold words, I know.
Try it. Let us know what you think!
 
Check out Ms. enPlace for some great links!
And don't forget about Adorned From Above and Carole's Chatter for even more links!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not going to comment on which one of you is weirder. But I will say that this is the second recipe using dates that I've seen in the past two weeks. I think it may be a sign. Sweet, salty, sticky--delicious! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think it is a sign! I'm always surprised by how sweet dates are. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Great popcorn recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. what temperature does the oven go on at?

    ReplyDelete