Thursday, November 4, 2021

Gingerdead Men Donuts

 


Sue got me a large gingerbread men cookie cutter which I was originally going to use at Christmas time until I saw some ridiculously cute Halloween cookies that someone made using a regular size gingerbread man cookie cutter. 
My cutter is 8 1/2 inches so I knew that it would make fabulous giant donuts. 
I used our Old Fashioned Jelly Donut recipe (HERE) to make these but feel free to use your favorite donut recipe. 
I went with zombies, ghosts, voodoo dolls, and vampires. Well, actually I only did a couple of vampires because, as you can see....


Instead of spooky looking vampires I thought they kind of looked like walrus men. Not that walrus men wouldn't be terrifying but... it wasn't the look I was going for!
The voodoo men were next.


These guys I filled with jelly so they looked bloodier. They are a little harder to fill than regular jelly donuts because you want to make it look like he's bleeding so you want the jelly closer to the surface of the donut. 


The gingerbread men wearing ghost costumes were pretty adorable. I piped on the icing instead of doing a glaze because I wanted the lines to be sharper so it looked more ghost-ish. 


The zombies ended up being my favorite!
I mean... it didn't matter if the donut had a flaw, you could turn it into part of his zombiness. This guy looked like he was missing a leg so I added a little red icing and *voila* zombie guy is missing a leg now. 


For the zombies I did a simple green glaze with icing sugar, a little vanilla, a little milk, and a little moss green food dye. Then I used a red gel icing and black gel icing (store bought) for blood and to pipe in the eyes and mouths. 




Except instead of cutting out circles, you cut out gingerbread men. 


Let them rise normally and then fry, as per original recipe. 


Make sure you use a pot big enough to give you room to flip these guys over. They are quite large! 


Yes, I will be making these again at Christmas and decorating like regular gingerbread men instead of gingerdead men. 


Which is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment