Sunday, January 4, 2015

PB & J Overnight Oats


It's hard to believe that not all that long ago I was NOT a fan of oatmeal. In any form. 
And now, here I am, eating overnight oats cold, baked oatmeal, stove top oatmeal, pretty much oatmeal in all its forms.
I couldn't tell you why I suddenly LOVE oatmeal but I find some things are best not to question.
Let's just roll with it.
Take these overnight peanut butter and jam oats.
I think we all know peanut butter and jam sandwiches are pretty much the perfect breakfast (or lunch, or snack). Don't argue. It's true.
Now you can enjoy this heavenly combination in an oatmeal and it requires like NO effort at all. 
About 10 seconds of prep and *boom* magic happens.


PB & K Overnight Oats

Ingredients
1/3 cup 0 fat, plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup 1 % milk
1/3 cup oats (not quick oats)
1 tsp flax
1 Tbsp peanut butter, divided
1 Tbsp strawberry jam, divided

Directions
In a small bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt and the milk until fairly smooth.
Stir in the oats, flax, and 2 tsp of the peanut butter and 2 tsp of the jam.


Scrape mixture into a mason jar or serving dish and top with the remaining 1 tsp of peanut butter and 1 tsp of jam. (Don't worry if it looks really soupy. It will thicken as it sits and the oats absorb the liquid.) 
Cover and chill overnight (at least 8 hours).


They come out so rich and creamy and taste very peanut butter and jam-y. 
This recipe is for one serving and comes in at - 335 calories, 42 carbs, 12 fat, 19 protein, and 5 fiber. 
A couple of things - 
Don't have ground flax, leave it out. It won't affect the taste or texture very much at all. I just like to add it for a little more fiber.
You can use lactose free Greek yogurt and almond milk if you can't do dairy.
Make it gluten free by using gluten free oats. 
You can, of course, use any flavor of jam you prefer. 
I've read that overnight oats can sit 3 - 4 days in the fridge and still be good so there is no panic if you don't get to it right away. 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way! Growing up, I loathed cold mornings b/c mom would make us eat oatmeal before heading to school. At least we got hot chocolate too. Now, I love oatmeal. What I really like about this is that I have to leave the house by 5:30 for work, so fancy breakfasts are out and anything make ahead or no-cook is in. Overnight oatmeal is way in!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete