Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Yeast Bun For One


Why would you want to just make a single bun?
Well, if you are like me and are a bread-a-holic then making only one bun prevents the inevitable bread binge that comes from making an entire loaf of homemade bread. 
The smell that fills the house when you bake homemade bread just triggers some primal need to eat and eat and eat - especially warm with butter melting on it.
You know what I'm talking about.....
Anyway, I wanted to see if I could come up with a single serving bread recipe that would yield one (ever-so-adorable) tasty serving of bread. I think this recipe was pretty successful...it is a little dense...but I'm not complaining. For how simple it is I'm not going to complain too loudly about it being a little heavy. 
I will keep trying to come up with a fluffier version BUT until then... this one will just have to do. 


Yeast Bun For One

Ingredients
1/3 cup flour
3 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp quick yeast
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp hot water (110 degrees)
1 tsp oil

Directions
In a small bowl, mix together half of the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Stir in the hot water and oil until well combined. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. 
Knead until smooth.  Cover with a tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
After resting, roll into a ball and set on an oven safe dish lined with parchment paper. 
Let rise for 30 minutes, covered, in a warm area.


Preheat oven to 350. Bake until top is golden brown, about 15 - 20 minutes.


My favorite?
Warm with peanut butter and jam.
Oh yeah. That's the stuff right there.
 
Don't forget to visit Hungry Little Girl and Adorned From Above and The Mandatory Mooch and  for some fabulous links!

14 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could make yeasted bread for one! What a neat idea if you wanted less temptation ;) Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Thanks for linking up to last weeks party. Can't wait to see what you link up this week!! Nichi http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/06/tasty-thursdays-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. can any flour be used? i was thinking buckwheat or whole wheat and can i skip the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably use any flour, just start by using a little less than called for and see how it goes. As for the leaving the sugar out....I think so but I am not 100% sure. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out for you!

      Delete
    2. The sugar is probably needed as that is what the yeast feeds on..

      Delete
  4. so. yummy. did this with my 3 year old. he was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was soooooooo good i enjoyed this very much. I will have to make more than one roll next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I had it baking when my husband got home to tell him we were expecting "a bun in the oven" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swapped soymilk for water and the bun turned out really soft. Thanks for the recipe. It gave right proportions for me to make a perfect bun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us know Skye! We're glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  8. This is great, but small. I think I’ll double the recipe for a larger bun to fit a typical hamburger patty or whatnot. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much! I was making a hamburger bun so I added Epicure herb and onion in it and topped with sesame and poppy seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good idea I live on my own and don't always want to go shopping just for bread. Making 1 roll is great. Will defo give it a try.

    ReplyDelete