Monday, October 1, 2012

Zucchini Parmesan Buns

 
Fall is my favorite time of year for baking bread.
Okay....fall is my favorite time of year - period.
The house is so warm and smells heavenly and the bread just seems to taste better.
This recipe is perfect to use up the zucchini from the garden and it's soft and squishy and perfect for the Thanksgiving dinner table.
I made a double batch for a bake sale Sue and I were holding and it was all I could do not to dive right into them.
 
Zucchini Parmesan Buns
 
Ingredients
1 cup zucchini, grated
1 tsp salt, divided
4 cups flour, divided
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) quick rise yeast
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
1 tsp sugar
1 cup very warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
1/4 cup butter, room temp
 
Directions
Spray 2 x 8" cake pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
Place zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt. Toss and leave to drain for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, press to get out as much liquid as possible.
In another bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, half the Parmesan cheese, sugar, and remaining salt. Add the zucchini and stir to combine.
Combine water and butter, stir until butter is melty, but not necessarily completely melted. Add to dry ingredients. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 6 rolls. Place the rolls evenly in the prepared pans. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
 
 
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
 
 
Preheat oven to 375. Bake buns for 20 - 25 minutes, until buns are golden brown. Remove from pan and serve warm or at room temp.
 
 
I doubled the dough and got 4 pans of 6 buns.
You could make these smaller if you like. For example - instead of 2 pans of 6, you could put 24 small rolls into a 9X13 and bake it like that.
Go big or go home is what I say.
Nothing beats homemade bread. Although, Sue doesn't like it because it tastes "too yeasty".
I KNOW!
Trust me....I'm her twin and I still don't get her sometimes.
cough*weird* cough.

1 comment:

  1. Jo! I made these yesterday and they were delicious! Not too yeast-y for me at all ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete