Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spicy Cauliflower Crunchies


So..okay...I admit it. I have joined the New Year's resolution bandwagon.
I know some people get upset at the thought of New Year's resolutions. So, for those of you who don't believe in them - don't think of this recipe as a New Year's resolution keeper helper thingy (yes, I am quite articulate, thank you for noticing.). Think of this recipe as a delicious side dish to your meal.
I think you could have this instead of potatoes or rice with a nice steak or chicken breast and a spinach salad or some other accoutrement. (I actually said "accoutrement" with a french accent, in case you were wondering. To make up for the whole "resolution keeper helper thingy" statement earlier.)
BUT...
For those of you who ARE on the New Year's resolution bandwagon....
Here is a great dish for quelling those hunger pangs. (Oooh..."quelling" I'm really using the big words now...)
Eat it with your dinner or try it as a snack instead of popcorn or candy whilst watching movies. ("Whilst"... I'm just showing off now)
As far as I have been able to figure out I think approximately 1 cup of this is equal to about 40 calories. Don't quote me on that but I think it is pretty close.



Spicy Cauliflower Crunchies

Ingredients
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt (or less)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1 head cauliflower

Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray (or 9 X 13 pan).
Mix spices together in a small bowl.


Break cauliflower into small florets and put in a medium bowl. Very lightly spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with spices and toss until well coated.
Spread out on prepared cookie sheet or 9 X 13 pan.
Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, stirring at about the 10 minute mark.
You want your cauliflower to be cooked but not soggy. There should still be a bit of crunch to it.  

I really enjoyed the flavors in this dish. It is fast and simple but it left me feeling like I had actually eaten something that wasn't "healthy food".
Believe me, fooling my brain into thinking that plain old cauliflower is delicious and I need to eat it instead of delicious mashed potatoes with gravy is not that easy. I need all the help I can get.
But just adding these few spices, it really turns plain old cauliflower into a fantastic side dish. One that does not leave you feeling deprived at all.
Whether you are following through with your resolutions or are just looking for an exciting new way to serve up some veggies - I hope you give this a try.

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of those resolution thingy girls. I will try this; I love spices

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so trying this tomorrow, thanks for the idea Joey!!!

    ReplyDelete