Sunday, November 27, 2011

Garlic Chicken Soup


It's cold and rainy and miserable out. All you want to do is curl up on the sofa under a snuggly blanket and watch Bugs Bunny cartoons and eat cookies.
Oh, wait. Maybe that's just me.
Anyway, I figured soup would be a good lunch to have in the middle of this wet and just plain stupid weather.
I came up with this recipe to chase away my yucky winter weather blues.
Plus, my parents were both feeling a little sick and I figured if a little garlic is good for you then a LOT of garlic must be even better.
Aaaaaand, chicken soup is the absolute cure all, is it not?

Mmmmm, garlic! Yes, A whole head :)


Garlic Chicken Soup


Ingredients

2 Tbsp butter
1 whole head of garlic, finely chopped
2 chicken breasts, diced
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 can yellow corn (about 1 cup)
1/2 can black beans, rinsed (about 1 cup)
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp Oh! So Garlic (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
splash of hot sauce
splash of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup sherry
4 - 5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup quinoa
3 cups spinach
parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions
In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, and chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add green pepper, celery, corn, black beans, spices. Stir and cook until celery and green pepper have softened.  
Stir in Worcestershire, sherry, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil,
Stir in quinoa. Simmer for 15 minutes, until quinoa is done.


Stir in spinach. Let wilt in soup - this only takes a minute. 
Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese to serve.


I don't know if it will help you banish your winter blues but it certainly helped to banish mine.
Don't get me wrong, I still plan on eating cookies whilst watching Bugs Bunny, nothing's changing that. But, now I can say I had something healthy and hearty so I don't have to feel as guilty about eating the cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I will go and try to make this soup. This recipe is perfect for the cold period of the year.

    ReplyDelete