Monday, November 14, 2011

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Pink Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting


It’s Sue again. This is getting to be quite a habit – me taking over the blog from Jo. After reading her blog about the Apple Cinnamon Whoopie Pies with Browned Butter Frosting I had to steal the blog from her once again. While her Apple Cinnamon Whoopie Pies may be “okay” my Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting are clearly far superior.
I do apologize for my photos though. Jo has actually stolen my camera and left me with one I am not familiar with so the photos are not as fancy schmancy as hers
(I am sure it is part of her plan to make my whoopie pies look bad).



Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Pink Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 Tbsp baking cocoa
1 Tbsp red food color
1 cup (more or less) of Pink Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie tray with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, beat sugar cookie mix, butter, egg, cocoa, and food color until combined. Beat on high speed for 1 minute.


Drop by 1/4 cup scoops about 2 inches apart on cookie tray.
Bake approx 15 minutes, until set (do not over bake). Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes on tray before removing to cool on wire racks.


Once completely cooled, place about 1 - 2 Tbsp of Pink Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting on flat side of one of the whoopie pie halves, sandwich with another whoopie pie half and gently squeeze together. You can use more or less icing, as you prefer.

These are very tasty and, I am sure you will agree, much prettier than Jo’s stupid Apple blah blah blah Whoopie Pies. The little white bits in my Red Velvet Whoopie Pies are some of the sugar cookie mix that didn't break up. I'm not sure how to solve that issue as I pressed it through a strainer and everything and they still showed up. If you know how to get rid of them, please let me know! Not to worry though, they still taste great!
Feel free to use regular cream cheese frosting rather than the Pink Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting if you prefer. If you want a shortcut you could even use a can of store bought cream cheese frosting. Just a thought to save some time...
In any event, we hope you enjoy both of them!
:0)

No comments:

Post a Comment