Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sweet Potato Biscuits

 
After Thanksgiving I ended up with a ton of leftover sweet potatoes. I wanted to make something out of the ordinary to use them up.
I came across a biscuit recipe in one of my magazines (I can't remember which one....sorry...) that used mashed potato so I decided to take that recipe as a starting point and create something for the leftover sweet potato.
This turned out really interesting. It is flaky and soft with just a hint of spice. It goes great with soup or chili. They are also sweet enough to eat warm, with some honey.
 
Sweet Potato Biscuits
 
Ingredients
2 cups cake flour
2 cups all purpose flour
5 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, chilled
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sweet potato, mashed
3/4 cup milk
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, spices, and brown sugar. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, combine sweet potato and milk. Stir into crumb mixture until just moistened. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until it just comes together. DO NOT OVERMIX.
Roll or pat out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with floured cookie or biscuit cutter. Place on prepared cookie sheet. (You can pull leftover dough together and reroll once more for more biscuits.
Bake at 425 for 10 - 12 minutes, until golden brown.
 
 
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack.
I find these are best served warm.
One of the better ways to use up leftovers that I have tried. Biscuits are so addicting. Little flaky bits of heaven is what I call them.
 
Want to find some great food and crafting links? Check out My Turn (for us).

No comments:

Post a Comment