Monday, February 27, 2012

5 Minute Coffee Cake


So, I was all excited after making the 5 minute chocolate cake and having it turn out so yummy and not gummy and weird that I decided to make it for dessert again last night.
Yay! Right?
Except I didn’t have any cocoa.
I was so sad.
Then I thought…I know…there has to be a non-chocolate cake in a mug that I can make.
Except…I don’t really like vanilla cake. I like chocolate cake.
*sigh*
But then I found this recipe for coffee cake in a mug.
Yeah, I can do that. It’s not chocolate but it is streusel-y. I like streusel.
Except I didn’t have half of the ingredients.
*sigh*
It’s okay….time to start substituting.
Turns out I like my 5 Minute Coffee Cake almost as much as my 5 Minute Chocolate Cake even though there is no chocolate involved.
I know, weird…
.
 
5 Minute Coffee Cake
Ingredients
1 Tbsp butter, softened
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp egg, beaten
2 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
Tiny splash of vanilla
¼ cup flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
Streusel Topping
1/2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions
Cream together butter and sugar in a microwave safe mug or bowl. Add in egg and mix until well combined. Add in cream cheese and mix until well combined. Stir in vanilla.
Add flour and baking powder, stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
In a separate bowl, combine streusel topping ingredients with your fingers until crumbly.
Sprinkle on top of cake batter. (You have to be very careful measuring the cake batter ingredients but feel free to be generous with the streusel ingredients – ie: I used heaping Tbsps and tsps.)

 
Microwave for 2 minutes, or until cooked.
You can either enjoy this in the mug/bowl you prepared it in or, if you want to be fancier, lift it out onto a plate and drizzle with a little caramel sauce. (Be forewarned – it is HOT when it comes out. Be careful not to gobble it down immediately.)
 

It really is that simple. Now, I know there are those out there who say “but a coffee cake (or chocolate cake) baked in the oven is WAY better”.
Well, yes, of course it is.
But this is pretty darn close if you are hungry and craving cake but are not in the mood to dirty a million dishes. Plus, if you are like me and want cake NOW, then this is for you. Start to finish in under 5 minutes.
Seriously.
I still say it is best eaten a bit warm with icing. Or caramel drizzle. Or ice cream. Or whipped cream.
You know, whatever you have on hand.


I can honestly say I don’t know how good it is cold as it has never lasted that long.
I like eating cake.
Don’t judge me.

2 comments: