Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Super Food Salad


Ever have one of those food moments where as you are eating you are thinking to yourself, "This is the best thing I've ever eaten."
I had one of those moments while eating this salad.
I was a little shocked because I didn't have big expectations for this salad. I mean, it sounded good but I am not really a salad eater and if it sounds like it is supposed to be healthy then I automatically lower my taste expectations.
Sad, but true.
Anways, this salad is now one of my new favorites.
It is amazing! The combinations of tastes and textures just fit so well together. I have to say, I do prefer it without the pomegranate seeds, but that's just me. 

Mine, without the pomegranates :)

Super Food Salad
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Ingredients
Lemon Vinaigrette
1 large lemon, juiced (need 1/4 cup juice)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp sugar (or other sweetener - agave, stevia, etc...)
salt & pepper
6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Salad Ingredients
2 cups shrimp
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/3 cup purple onion, finely chopped
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup canned corn
1/2 cup pomegranate arils (if using)
salt & pepper
 
Directions
First, cook your shrimp in a nonstick pan sprayed with cooking spray with the minced garlic.

Mmmmm...garlic shrimp!

When done, set aside to cool.
Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
For the Lemon Vinaigrette: place all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake to combine. (You could also whisk together in a small bowl) This can sit in the fridge, covered, until ready to use.
 In a large bowl, combine cooled quinoa, purple onion, avocado, beans, pomegranate (if using), corn, and salt and pepper. Toss half of the cooked shrimp into the salad.
Pour about 1/2 of the Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad and gently stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining shrimp. You can add a bit more dressing to suit your tastes if you prefer.
Serve cold or at room temp.

I am not 100% sure why this is called a "super food" salad. I'm assuming it is because it contains so many really nutrient rich ingredients.  
Totally good for you...and totally delicious.
Who would have thought that was possible?
I may slowly be changing my opinion about eating more vegetables and healthier food.
A few more dishes like this one and I will be definitely be on board the veggie train!


Oh...quick note....this serves 5 generously and, from what I can figure out using Fitday, it breaks down to approximately: 430 calories, 17 gr of fat, 50 gr carbs, and 25 gr of protein per serving using half of the dressing.  Don't quote me on that but I think it's pretty close.

Check out Blissful and Domestic and Carole's Chatter for some great links!

No comments:

Post a Comment