Monday, January 25, 2021

Creme Brulee Donuts


I think the thing I love the most about being a food blogger is being able to share my crazy creations. 
I love taking 2 or more classic dishes and smashing them together to come up with something new (or at least new-ish)! 
For this bad boy I took a no bake crème brulee and combined it with my old fashioned jelly donut recipe. The result? UH-mazing. My new favorite donuts in the universe. 
Anytime you can enjoy 2 desserts in one is a win in my books! 


Crème Brulee Donuts

Donuts

Crème Brulee Filling
3 cups heavy cream
3 tsp vanilla extract 
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar

Topping
granulated sugar

Directions
Prepare donuts as per instructions in our Old Fashioned Jelly Donut post HERE. 


Prepare the crème brulee - Place the heavy cream in a pot. Heat the cream until it starts to steam. Remove from heat and set aside.  
Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and thick. Beat in vanilla. Slowly whisk in the hot cream, a little at a time, until well combined. 
Place back over medium-low heat. Cook, without boiling, until mixture thickens to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat. Pour into a bowl and set aside. 
Assemble crème brulee donuts - cut a small amount out of the center of each donut (as per photo).


Spoon the crème brulee filling into each donut and smooth the top as well as you can.  Place in fridge or somewhere cool to chill completely. 


When filling is completely cool, sprinkle generously with sugar. Only do 2 or 3 at a time so the sugar doesn't start to dissolve. 


Use a kitchen torch to brulee the sugar until bubbly and browned. Watch you do not burn it!


Serve immediately. 


These are best eaten the day they are made. They will last a day or so but once you cook the sugar it will only stay crisp for so long. They will stay taste delicious you will just lose the signature crunch of the crème brulee topping!


I think I used about 1/2 to 1 tsp of sugar per donut but I didn't really measure. Be generous! 


The donut recipe makes about 1 1/2 to 2 dozen donuts and the filling should be enough for all of them. If you have extra filling, pour it in a ramekin, top it with sugar and brulee it just like you would normal crème brulee. You can make the holes in the donuts as big or small as you like for more or less filling. 
Note - I'd go with more.... it's delicious. 

2 comments: