Thursday, July 28, 2011

Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars


My friend’s husband has gotten me hooked on crème brulee. First let me just say “Thanks a lot Drew!” I mean that in a sarcastic and non-sarcastic way. Non-sarcastic: he made the best crème brulee ever and shared with me! Sarcastic: I am now addicted to crème brulee and NEED to have his recipe and will be gaining a million pounds because of this.
I am surprised that I love it so much. I can remember trying it many, many years ago and not even being able to eat more than a bite or two because the texture put me off and it was too “eggy”. Drew’s amazing crème brulee recipe has lead me to believe that way back when, when I tried it the first time, something had to have been horribly wrong with the recipe. Although I am not above believing my friend has kept her husband’s baking expertise hidden to keep us from stealing him away.
So, before you get too excited. This is NOT Drew’s crème brulee recipe. (I know…I know….sorry for getting you excited!) This is a crème brulee cheesecake bar. I saw this recipe on the Betty Crocker website today and had to try it. I mean, crème brulee CHEESECAKE…. How could I NOT make it? Besides, I have to harass Drew some more before he will (hopefully) share the recipe with me.
 
Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bar

Ingredients
1 pouch of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
1 box (4 serving size) French vanilla instant pudding mix
2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
½ cup butter, melted
3 tsp vanilla
2 eggs plus 3 egg yolks
2 x 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
½ cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup toffee bits, finely ground
Directions
Heat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch pan with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
In large bowl, stir cookie mix, pudding mix, brown sugar, melted butter, 1 tsp of the vanilla and 1 whole egg until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan.
(**NOTE ** I scooped out about 1/2 cup of dough because I felt the crust was too thick. It turned out just right, in my opinion, having done this.)
In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add remaining whole egg, 3 egg yolks and remaining 2 tsp vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread over crust in pan.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until set in center. Immediately sprinkle top with crushed toffee bits. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until chilled. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.
.
It’s really, really tasty!. It didn’t really remind me a lot of crème brulee but there was a hint of it in there. The ground up toffee bits on top really were a nice touch. I was very excited to use them as this meant I got to fire up my Magic Bullet!

.
See, look how finely ground the toffee bits are. I love my Magic Bullet. (If you don't have a Magic Bullet then you can put the toffee into a pastic bag and roll it with a rolling pin to crush it.)
.
Plus, I was very, very, very excited because I got a new kitchen appliance to use. I have being dying to try it out. A new Kitchenaid mixer. I don’t know how I managed this long without one. (Technically I did have one given to me but then our mother gave it to Sue. It's okay though, I'm over it now, I have a shiny new one) 

Ooooooh…so pretty! I am going to need a bigger kitchen……


No comments:

Post a Comment