Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

 
These were one of my Christmas cookie finds this year. I saw these over at the Minimalist Baker and thought I would give them a whirl.
I had almost forgotten about them until I was browsing through my photos and found the pics I took.
These cookies are like a regular sugar cookie but "new and improved" with cinnamon and maple flavoring and maple frosting.
The Minimalist Baker compared them to French toast. I don't really get French toast out of them - but - they are very cinnamon-y and maple-y and tasty.
And soft and squishy, just like a cookie should be.
 
 
Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
(Ever-so-slightly adapted from Minimalist Baker)
 
Ingredients
Cookie
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
 
Maple Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 lb icing sugar
3 tsp maple extract
2 - 4 Tbsp milk
 
Topping
Maple sugar granules/sprinkles
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.
Alternately add milk and dry ingredients to the butter mixture while mixing.
Chill dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
Roll out on floured surface, use a cookie cutter or cut into squares, and place cut outs on prepared cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for 10 - 11 minutes, do not over bake! Remove from heat and let cool on wire racks.
Frosting - Beat together butter and 1 cup of the icing sugar. Beat in maple extract and the rest of the icing sugar. Beat in enough milk to make your frosting thick and spreadable but not runny.
Frost cookies. Sprinkle with the maple sugar granules/sprinkles.
 
 
I pressed the tines of a fork around the rectangles I cut out because I thought they would look like little poptarts. They kind-of do.
Whatever shape you choose, I think you find these a nice change from the usual sugar cookie recipe.
 
Don't foget to visit My Turn (for us) and Love Bakes Good Cakes for some great links!

4 comments:

  1. I was going to say they look like mini poptarts. They look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soft,cinnamon-y, maple-y cookies sound perfect with a cup of coffee. Yum. Gotta try these.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. And I agree with all the others, mini pop tarts that bring back fond memories! :O)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Pam @ The Patriotic Pam

    ReplyDelete