Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Confetti Angel Food Cake (Single Serving)

 
Being that it is still January and I am still fully on board the eat-healthy train, I was looking for a tasty treat for dessert.
I love the many 5 minute microwave cookies and cakes we have on our blog (look under "single serving" under Labels on the side of the blog), but wanted something lighter and perhaps a tad healthier.
I decided to try and make an angel food cake for one.
I turned out fantastic - probably a touch more  dense than a full size angel food cake but, overall, pretty darn good.
Plus, if you make it in mini cappuccino cups it looks soooooo adorable...
 
 
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......
so cute.
Anyway, other than cuteness factor, this also has a pretty high tastiness factor.
Oh, yes, and for the entire recipe (according to Fitday) it is -
180 Calories
0.7 Fat
40.4 Carbs
5.2 Protein
Throw some fruit on it or a spoonful of whipped cream and you have a LARGE piece of a very decadent dessert for about 200 calories. (In the photo below I also put a little scoop of Healthy Banana Strawberry Ice Cream on top for next-to-nil calories!)
Hallelujah!
 
 
Confetti Angel Food Cake (Single Serving)
 
Ingredients
1 3/4 Tbsp cake flour
2 Tbsp icing sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sprinkles
1 egg white
1 Tbsp sugar
1 drop lemon juice
 
extra sugar to coat ramekins
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a ramekin with cooking spray and then sprinkle it generously with sugar.
Make sure to coat the sides thoroughly with the sugar and then dump out any extra.
Whisk together flour, icing sugar, salt, and sprinkles in a small bowl.
 
 
In a larger bowl, beat egg white until foamy, gradually beat in sugar and lemon juice. Keep beating until stiff peaks form.
 
 
Gently fold the dry mix into the egg whites, being careful not to over mix and deflate the whites.
Spread in ramekin.
 
 
Bake at 350 for approx 20 minutes, until top is golden brown.
Remove from heat and turn cake upside down and rest edges of pan on cooling racks to cool so the cake does not deflate.
 
 
If you are not able to turn it upside down, let it cool on its side.
 
 
It will sink if you just let is stand upright!
As an alternative, I used my longer ramekin and lined it with parchment paper to see how it would work.
 
 
I ran a knife around the edge to loosen it and it came out with the paper just fine.
 
 
They just look so dang adorable.
 
 
You don't even have to add whipped cream or fruit if you don't want to.
But...of course...
you will probably want to.
I mean, it's only 200 calories for goodness sake!
 
Stop by My Turn (for us) and Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons for some great links!

1 comment:

  1. This is just tooo cute! I love cakes in a cup and always looking for new ideas. This is a different one. Thanks for shairing. Come visit me and check out my give away! Im a new follower too!!!

    ReplyDelete