Thursday, April 12, 2012

5 Minute Apple Crisp


Best Apple Crisp Ever.
Pretty bold statement, I know. Especially since this one comes together in about 5 minutes and is cooked in the microwave.
The topping turned out sooooooo great on this.
I am calling it "healthy" but I am putting quotation marks around the word "healthy", and I do make air quotes when I tell people it is "healthy".
What? It's apple crisp.
Apples are fruit.
Fruits are healthy.
It contains butter.
Butter is a dairy product.
Dairy is healthy.
It contains oats.
Oats are a grain.
Grains are healthy.
Therefore, this is "healthy".

Drooling yet?

5 Minute Apple Crisp

Ingredient
1 small apple
1 heaping Tbsp butter, softened
splash vanilla
2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp oats
1 Tbsp pecans, chopped
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions
Peel and cube the apple into a microwave safe bowl or mug. Microwave for 2 minutes.
While apple is in microwave, in another bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until crumbly.

The topping is the best part :)

Take out apple, stir, and then sprinkle topping over apple.
Microwave for another 1 - 2 minutes, until apple can be easily pierced with a fork. Start checking at 1 minute.
Warning - when this comes out of the microwave it is EXTREMELY hot!
Let it sit for at least a minute or two before you try to eat it. This will be difficult, I know, but you do not want to burn the top of your mouth!
I didn't have any ice cream but imagine this would be heaven on a plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top.
I can't wait to try this topping on peaches or apricots. I will update you when I do!

UPDATE! I made this with a peach instead of an apple.
It may be my new favorite. It was delicious.... check out the pic below!

 
I would gladly just eat a bowl of the topping with some ice cream but then I would lose the apple which is the biggest selling point on the whole "healthy" thing. .
*Sigh*
The things I put up with for the sake of my physical well being.

10 comments:

  1. I love these 5 minute recipes. Just enough for one and quick to do. So when I am craving something sweet, I can whip it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that about them! I am just relaizing how many different options there are out there :) Who knew you could make cookies in the microwave?

      Delete
  2. OMGGGGGGGG...I made it and nearly died waiting for it to cool...then I ate some and did officially die because it was SO delicious!! Now I can't stop making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added a bit of extra butter and oats for a bit more indulgence :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing!!!! I add some extra oats also for a little more firmness. Want to make.it with the peach but wondering if you just skip the initial warming to soften the apples. I think I'm going to give it a shot , I can't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i made my topping it wasn't crumbly, more like an oaty paste. Is there something that I maybe could have added too much or not enough of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... you could try adding a bit more oats, pecans, and flour and that might make it less paste-like. Too much butter may have made it to pasty.

      Delete
  6. I just found this recipe on Pinterest in the last hour. I doubled it to serve two and it turned out perfect! Thank you for this Sunday night treat! I had no idea you could soften apples like that in the microwave. This was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is now my only apple crisp topping I will ever use. The pecans are such a delicious addition. I added a drizzle of caramel topping to make it look Fancy!

    ReplyDelete