Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Carrot Fries

If you are like me, you saw "carrot fries" and got all excited thinking - Oh, my goodness! Carrots that are as good as fries? Really? Yaaaaaaaaaaay! - and then you did a happy dance.
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble.
They aren't really "fries" in the crispy, greasy, fat laddened sense.
BUT...they are still delicious in their own right.
They are tasty, far less calories, and much healthier.
Now...wait.....I know what you are thinking - Mmmm boy, healthy carrot snacks. Yum.
First of all, don't be like that.
Carrots don't judge you so don't judge our poor carrot friends.
Second, these are really good.
I wouldn't lie about that.
They are basically a roasted carrot without the roast drippings sogging them up. Plus, you can change the seasoning to suit your taste.

Carrot Fries

3 medium carrots
1/4 tsp sea salt
sprinkle pepper
sprinkle garlic salt
1/2 Tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
Peel and slice carrots into sticks. Place in a medium bowl, sprinkle with spices and drizzle with oil.

Toss to evenly coat. Spread out on cookie sheet so carrot sticks are not touching.
Bake at 425 for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, until the carrots are starting to brown. Stir halfway through cooking time.
Remove from oven and serve hot.

So, I KNOW they aren't fries, okay? Let's move past that.
But, they do kinda look like fries...if that counts....
They are super-de-duper tasty and, if you are like me and trying to eat more vegetables, this is a great side dish. From what I can figure, using Fitday, I got to eat the whole recipe and it was only (about) 150 calories. Not too shabby :)


  1. do you think this is something that must be eaten almost immediately? Or can I make it 3-4 hours in advance? I feel like it'll get soggy and lose its crispy texture :(

    1. These would definitely be best eaten immediately. :)