Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Masala French Toast (Savory French Toast)


I don't know why I have never thought to attempt a savory french toast until now. I know "regular" French toast is delicious and doesn't really need any improving BUT making it savory is just brilliant. 
This version is a popular Indian toast that I discovered while searching Pinterest for some ideas. Sue and I have been running a "Chopped" style contest for everyone on Facebook while we are all self isolating and the ingredients for one particular challenge were eggs and carrots. 
I took inspiration from several recipes and came up with this version here. It only takes about 2 minutes to whip up and would be great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. 
While I didn't win our Chopped: Quarantine Edition with this recipe, I have added it to my weekly rotation as it is totally addicting. Serve it with some raita for an extra special treat! (Our Raita recipe can be found HERE but there are tons of simpler ones out there if you Google them!)


Masala French Toast

Ingredients
2 eggs
2 Tbsp finely diced onion
3 Tbsp shredded carrot
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch curry powder
pinch coriander
1/4 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp flour
pinch salt & pepper
2 - 3 slices of bread
1 - 2 Tbsp butter for frying

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, onion, carrot, spices, and flour. 


Heat a frying pan over medium (to medium low) heat and melt the butter in it. Place your slices of bread in the pan and top evenly with half of the mixture, spreading it over the entire surface. Carefully flip the bread over and top the other side with the remaining mixture. Spread it evenly over the bread. 


Cook for about 3 - 5 minutes, until golden, and then flip the bread over and continue to cook the other side for another 3 - 4 minutes. 


Serve immediately. You can sprinkle a little cilantro on top, if desired. 
Or serve with a dollop of raita. 


I can't decide if I like sweet French toast better or savory. They are both equally delicious. I find that French toast works best with a grainy or seedy bread... but that is a personal preference. This will cover 2 larger pieces of bread or 3 smaller. It is super easy to double or tripe if you are making it for more than one person. I count this as one serving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment