Saturday, September 14, 2019

Moist Jumbo Pumpkin Muffins


I may have gone a little crazy with the size of these muffins. Thing is... when you want a delicious, moist, crumbly pumpkin muffin you want a big one. I'm not wrong about that. 
This recipe is very basic and has very little in the way of bells and whistles. You probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now. (The only thing I had to pick up was a can of pumpkin but, as it's now cooler weather time, pumpkin becomes a staple at my house too.) 
I made these, perhaps a little too big - if that's even a thing... you could make 7 jumbo muffins if you don't fill your pans quite so full. You could make 12 regular sized muffins if you don't have the jumbo tins. 


Moist Jumbo Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling) (2 cups)
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 6 cup jumbo muffin tin with butter and set aside. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a bigger bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, oil, and vanilla. 
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just mixed. A few streaks of flour is okay - you don't want to over mix or your muffins won't be as fluffy. 
Scoop the batter evenly into the 6 cups.


As you can see... I filled mine very full... you could fill 7 cups instead of the 6 if you are worried about it being too full. (12 regular size)
Bake at 375 until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and tops are a light golden color, about 25 - 35 minutes (Depending on your oven. I rotate my muffins in the oven at the ten minute mark and then start checking at 20 minutes. Tops should appear dry.)


Let cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Then carefully run a butter knife around the edge of the muffin and remove it from the pan. 


I like to cut mine in half for serving...


And, of course, a healthy dose of butter makes things even better...


These freeze very well so they work as a make-ahead, travels-well breakfast or snack. After school the kids can pop one in the microwave for a minute and have a delicious treat. 
You can, of course, add in chocolate chips or butterscotch chips, or nuts, or raisins but it is totally not necessary. Simplicity is the key for these bad boys. 
So moist. So tender. Basically the best muffin ever. 

18 comments:

  1. Just made this recipe today. I cooked them for 35 minutes, but didn't use a toothpick to check for doneness. My opps! They were excellent, but it could if cooked maybe 5 minutes more. I will definitely make this recipe again, it's a keeper. BUT will use toothpick to test next time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don’t have tinned pumpkin purée in South Africa! Can one use cooked soft pumpkin instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but put your cooked pumpkin in a muslin tea towel, twisting tightly to extract as much excess moisture as possible so the batter will not be too “soupy.”

      Delete
    2. Tku. Was going to strain. Will bake tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Why not? My Mom says sweet potato would work too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these muffins today and the only thing I did different was switch the brown sugar and the sugar around. I used a cup of brown sugar and a half a cup of regular sugar. They turned out super moist and fluffy and High. I also like brown sugar streusel on top of my muffins so I added that. They turned out almost exactly like Dunkin’ Donuts pumpkin muffins. I am very pleased with this recipe and I will keep it and use it again. Thank you! Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these last night, delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished making and sampling one of these . I used my own pumpkin from baked pie pumpkins and added a few raisins . Very good muffin 😋 Will definitely use this recipe again . Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed the recipe exactly and they are the best pumpkin muffins ever

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have made these 3 times now. They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always make a triple batch to share with the family, some get cream cheese,some Nutella,some nuts and some dried cranberries…..SUPERB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have the nutritional information ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same

      Delete
    2. No we do not have the nutritional info for this recipe. You could use a free online calculator like MyFitnessPal to get it 😊. Hope that helps

      Delete
  11. I like to add raisins but some of my family are not a fan of them so add dried cranberries Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made 6 beautiful big muffins and they were delicious ! I only had brown sugar in the house so used 1 cup only, still a perfect muffin! Great recipe - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came out great with pumpkin boiled and strained

    ReplyDelete