Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Unicorn Rainbow Cake


Who doesn't love rainbows and unicorns?
Okay, don't answer that. If you don't then we probably can't be friends so......
Anyway, this cake is not so much a recipe but just an idea that we wanted to share in case you were in need of unicorn/rainbow inspiration. You can use a box cake mix or make your own. We went with a single box mix - a vanilla cake that we separated and dyed with food coloring before baking.


Then all you have to do is give it a good crumb coating with some tasty frosting between the layers.


Because this was for my niece's birthday I didn't worry too much about making the sides even. If you want it to look tidier then definitely spend some time trimming around the cake so when you cover it with marshmallow fondant it is much more smooth. 
Need a marshmallow fondant recipe? Click HERE for ours.  It's really easy to whip up. Making the "large batch" will give you enough to cover the cake and make the unicorn. 


I pinched off a little of the white marshmallow fondant and dyed it with a smidge of the gel food coloring to get the colors for his hair, ears, eyes, hooves, and horn.


I got small and medium sixlets (colorful candies) from the Bulk Barn to sprinkle liberally around the cake and unicorn. I went with pastel colors to match the unicorns colors. 


A little close up of his tongue sticking out and his teeny, tiny horn. I was going to go with a bigger horn but just thought the teeny one looked so much cuter. 


When you cut it you see that beautiful rainbow peaking out. 


I tried to copy the colors I used in the cake as closely as I could when I made the unicorn's hair so there was some continuity. 


This isn't my niece, this is a little helper that Sue watches. She would put a candy on the cake and then eat one. She gets it. 
You can see the ripples on the side of the cake because I didn't shave them down to make the cake even. Spend some time doing that if you want a smoother cake!. You can even skip covering the cake in fondant and just frost it smooth if you prefer. 
I had a lot of fun making this unicorn rainbow cake and hope it gives you some inspiration. Let us know if you have any questions about the cake and we will do our best to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment