Sunday, December 10, 2017

Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies

If a recipe has "old fashioned" in the title then there is a 99.9% chance that it will be delicious. It's true. There are some exceptions - they usually involve head cheese or liver or some other ingredient that is just way too sketchy - thus the 0.1%. 
Anyhoooo.... these cookies are fantabulous for Christmas or any time. They are soft and squishy like a cookie should be with that hint of molasses and spice that definitely tastes like the holidays. 
A batch of cookies (you get about a dozen large cookies) takes under an hour to make. If you are making them for a cookie exchange/cookie platter then use a smaller cookie scoop. 

Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies

1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup butter, room temp
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
pinch salt

For Rolling
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside. 
In a mixing bowl, beat together brown sugar and butter until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Beat in molasses, egg, and vanilla. 
Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until stiff dough forms. Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough onto cookie sheet. Roll each scoop into a ball and then roll in the sugar to coat the outside. Place on prepared cookies sheet about 2 inches apart. 

Bake at 325 for approx 10 - 15 minutes, until edges are browned and cookie is set. Cooking time with vary by a few minutes depending on the size of cookie scoop you use. 

Remove from oven and let cool on cookie tray for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Store at room temp in an airtight container. These also freeze very well. 

These old fashioned soft molasses cookies make lovely gifts for friends or family or coworkers!

If you use a large cookie scoop you will get around 12 - 15 cookies from a batch and it will take closer to 15+ minutes to cook. If you use a "regular" scoop you should get around 24 - 28 cookies per batch and it will take closer to the 10+ minutes to cook. My advice is to keep an eye on them. 
If you don't have a cookie scoop simply pinch off a golf ball size amount of dough and roll into a ball - you should get around 24 cookies. 


  1. These look delicious (and very buttery). Great idea for a homemade gift.

  2. Awesome job really it's great article.