Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Baked Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal (Single Serving)


I was trying to come up with some kind of catchy name for this recipe. "Baked Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal" just does NOT do it justice. I mean...that makes it sound like it is just oatmeal with some cinnamon in it. Ewww...
It is definitely not that. 
Look... I know I keep writing about how much I hate oatmeal and then I make oatmeal and rave about it. (See - Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal,  Savory Zucchini Oatmeal, Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal, Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal)
But this time I'm really, really serious. You NEED to make this. 
THIS IS THE ONE. 
Your life will become all rainbows and unicorns and cute baby animals once you try this.
You know...... or not. 
I mean..... if you don't make it you'll never know...


Baked Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal (Single Serving)

Ingredients
Oatmeal
1 Tbsp Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup 1% milk
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 egg white, slightly beaten
1 pecan half, chopped fine

"Brown Sugar" Swirl
1 1/2 tsp coconut oil, melted
2 tsp Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 Tbsp light cream cheese
1 tsp maple syrup
splash vanilla

Toppings
1 pecan half, chopped fine

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a single serving, oven safe dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Prepare oatmeal - In a small bowl combine Quaker quick oats, Sugar Twin, cinnamon, and baking powder. Add in the milk, applesauce, and beaten egg white. Stir with a fork until well combined. 
Prepare the brown sugar swirl - in a small dish, mix together the coconut oil, Sugar Twin, and cinnamon until smooth. Set aside.
Prepare the cream cheese icing - In a small dish, using the back of a spoon, cream together the cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.


Pour the oatmeal into the prepared oven safe dish. 
Using the spoon you mixed it with, drizzle half of the "brown sugar swirl" on top of the oatmeal. 


Bake at 350 until oatmeal has risen and is firm (top should look dry and won't be jiggly) - about 20 - 30 minutes.


You can either use a spoon and simply spread the cream cheese on - or you can go all fancy schmancy and pipe it on in a swirl by placing it a tiny plastic bag and snipping the corner.


Then drizzle the remaining "brown sugar swirl" over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped pecan.


Serve hot. (Do be careful - it is VERY hot when it comes out of the oven!) 


Try not to inhale it all in one bite. 
I know you think I'm kidding. You're thinking, "Yeah, right. It's oatmeal. Whoopie!"
Let me stop you right there.
This is not oatmeal. This is some kind of magical illusion masquerading as oatmeal. Don't leave off the brown sugar swirl or the cream cheese icing. They complete the illusion totally and have you believing you are eating a cinnamon bun fresh from the oven. (Well.... it did for me anyways....)
Here's some even better news - according to Myfitnesspal - 
300 calories, 38 carbs, 13 fat, and 12 protein. THE WHOLE RECIPE. 
*Gasp*
Cinnamon bun deliciousness for breakfast for 300 calories. 
Don't mind if I do. 

Looking for some fun crafty and tasty links? Check out these blogs - Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, My Turn (for us), Six Sister's Stuff, Horrific Knits, The Mandatory Mooch, The Chicken Chick, and Ms. enPlace.

15 comments:

  1. You totally had me at baby unicorns! That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so going to try this, it looks fantastic! If you're looking for more really good oatmeal recipes come on over to mine and my sister's blog and have a look around, we've just gotten started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte. I will be sure to take a look :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks fabulous and I am not particularly an oatmeal eater but this I would definitely make. I have family members that love just plain oatmeal. Can't wait to try this out on them!! Thanks for sharing on the Four Seasons Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri! Let us know how they like it :)

      Delete
  4. It's lunch time and I want to make this now! Thanks for sharing and when I make this I'll link it back to you!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, you are too funny! Second, I could kinda use some rainbows and unicorns in my life. Third, I'm totally into the way this is all puffed up and confident as a cinnamon roll when it comes out of the oven.
    Thank you for sharing this--hoping to make it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle :) Do let us know if you try it!

      Delete
  6. Just made this for breakfast and it blew my mind! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds absolutely wonderful. Definitely want to try it. Do you think I could make a large batch and put it into an 8x8 pan? I need it to feed 6. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erlene, I've never made it in a larger batch but I see no reason why you couldn't. Please let us know if you try it. I'd love to know how it works as a bigger recipe! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo and Sue. This looks fab! Would love to make it this weekend for breakfast. I'm on a strict 1,200 calorie diet, how do I know how much one serving is? I see according it's 300 calories per serving which is perfect for me, but does that equate to a cup, two cups? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make the recipe as written above, the entire thing is one serving. So you can have the whole recipe for 300 calories. :)

      Delete