Monday, July 1, 2013

Crockpot Sweet & Spicy Nuts


Sue here..again.
Wow, two blogs in a row for me. I'm on a roll.
This is another of the recipes I made for my daughter's birthday a few days ago. I found this recipe in the Taste Of Home Special Edition magazine titled "Summer Slow Cooker Meals". Let me tell you -- this is sooooo addicting. I made it with peanuts but I cannot wait to try this with cashews. 
So good. 
Everyone loved this. Even my hubby and Jo who are anti-spice freaks thought this was delicious. 
This is an ideal snack for teenagers and adults. Maybe not the healthiest BUT definitely one of the most flavorful. Just be sure you make enough for everyone!


Crockpot Sweet & Spicy Nuts
(From Taste Of Home Magazine - Summer Slow Cooker Meals)

Ingredients
3 cups salted peanuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp hot water
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
1 tsp chili powder

Directions
Spray a 1 1/2 qt slow cooker with cooking spray. 
Place peanuts in slow cooker. 
In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour over peanuts. 
Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes. 
Stir.
Cover and cook 45 more minutes longer.
Stir.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the peanuts on the prepared cookie sheet to cool -- this takes several hours. I stirred every 30 minutes or so just to keep the peanuts from sticking in one big clump. 


See how simple that is?
Jo and I were thinking these would be great sprinkled on top of a salad or a stir fry.
Oh, one thing, I was worried these were going to be too sticky as they didn't seem to be drying. Turns out I just needed to have more patience. They take several hours to fully dry out. Don't get me wrong...you can eat them while they are still sticky...but, if you want them to be dry and look pretty in a serving dish...make sure you give them enough time. 
You could even make them the day before if you wanted to. 
Good luck not eating them all!

Don't forget to visit Love Bakes Good Cakes and Memories By The Mile and Hun...What's For Dinner? and Carole's Chatter for some fun and tasty links!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing at last week's All My Bloggy Friends! I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete