Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake Scones and Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries

 
Yes, I’m going a little strawberry crazy in this post. Strawberries are awesome.
It’s true.
Don’t argue.
Scones are one of those things that take about 2 seconds to make but I hardly ever make them. I’m not quite sure why. They are delicious. They are easy. They have an unlimited potential as far as flavors go.
This recipe might have me making scones a little more often. Imagine strawberry shortcake but baked in a scone.
Seriously.
They are super-de-duper easy and taste amazing. I mean…it’s like strawberry shortcake: the handheld version. And, in case you didn’t know, this is a crazy fabulous idea.
 
 
Strawberry Shortcake Scones
 
Ingredients
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1 - 2 Tbsp sugar, for sprinkling on top 
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Stir together flour and baking powder in a bowl, Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resemble course crumbs. Using a fork, stir in orange juice and milk until dough comes together. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 2 - 3 times.
Divide dough in half and roll each half to approx 1/4 inch thickness. Both pieces of dough should be equal in size.
 
 
Sprinkle one piece of dough with the strawberries and drop the jam by tiny spoonfuls over the strawberries.
 
 
Top with second piece of dough.
 
 
Using a round biscuit cutter, cut out scones and place about an inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle each with a little bit of sugar.
 
 
Bake at 400 for approx 15 minutes. Until tops are lightly browned and strawberry center is bubbling. When you remove them from the oven you can sprinkle with a bit more sugar, if desired, but totally not necessary. (I do, of course!)
 
 
I used a circle biscuit cutter to cut out my scones but you could just as easily leave it in its rectangle shape and cut into squares. If you do the squares you won’t have any leftover scraps to worry about. I simply took the leftover scraps from cutting out the circles and patted them together to make one bigger scone. It wasn’t as pretty as the smaller circles but it certainly tasted just as good.
I believe I got 10 smaller scones and 1 big one.
 
As for the Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries….
These were waaaaaay easier than I thought they were going to be. I used the leftover cheesecake filling from my Cinnamon Bun Cones to fill them. I probably used about 1/3 of a cup to fill the strawberries shown here.
Everyone LOVED these. My friend, Kerry, who enjoyed the cheesecake filling, suggested next time I should fill them with the lime filling from my Key Lime Pie Dip. Hmmm….good thinking…
For now though, here is the recipe for cheesecake stuffed strawberries a la Jo.
 
 
Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries

Ingredients
12 – 15 strawberries
1/3 cup (give or take) Cheesecake filling
3 Tbsp cup Oreo baking crumbs

 Directions
Cut off strawberry leaves. Using a knife or tiny, sharp edged spoon, scoop out a small amount of the strawberry, at the top, leaving about ½ tsp to a tsp sized indent.
Place cheesecake filling into a plastic bag and snip off the corner. Pipe small amount of filling into the indent in the strawberry, making sure a small amount shows out the top.
 
 
Dip the cheesecake that is out the top of the strawberry into the Oreo crumbs.
Serve immediately or store in fridge, covered, until ready to serve.
You will have to forgive my measurements on this recipe. I was using up leftovers so I didn’t “really” measure…I guess-timated. Plus…it will depend on the size of your strawberries how much filling you can stuff them with.
 
 
I made the strawberry scones and the cheesecake filled strawberries for a family brunch. They were both a big hit. I think the cheesecake strawberries were probably the favorites BUT none of the scones were leftover either.
These looked so pretty on their serving platter! Perfect for Spring (or summer).

Be sure to visit Hungry Little Girl and Adorned From Above for some fantastic links!

2 comments:

  1. This page really has all the info I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    my homepage :: juicing benefits

    ReplyDelete