Friday, March 29, 2013

Pizza Cones


I figured since my Cinnamon Bun Cones Filled With Cheesecake were such a hit I would see what other cone treats I could come up with. They really are very easy and are so much fun!
I went with savory this time and came up with easy Pizza Cones.
I know these are usually fairground food but now you can make these for after school snacks for the kids in almost no time at all.
Fill them with your favorite pizza toppings and dig in! No special equipment required.


Pizza Cones

Ingredients
2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Dough
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 - 2 cups shredded cheese
Pizza toppings - I used chopped salami, ham, pepperoni, onion, green pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Cover 12 cone shaped ice cream cones with a layer of tinfoil, spray tinfoil with cooking spray. Set on cookie sheet.
Unwrap one can of the crescent dough and press the diagonal seams together. You don't need to press the middle, vertical seam, together.
Spread a little of the pizza sauce on the dough. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of cheese - maybe 1 - 2 Tbsp. Press down with your hand.
Divide each half into 3 parts. Divide each of those parts into 3 more parts. (See photo below for some clarification)


Wrap 3 of the bread "sticks" around each of the ice cream cones, starting from the bottom of the cone and going up. Be sure to just slightly layer the bread as you go.


Repeat with the other can of dough.
As you can see from the above photo, I baked some cones on their side and some in a vertical position. They both baked up well BUT I found the ones baked on their side were much easier to get off the cone after baking. That being said, if you have more patience than I, by all means, bake them vertically.
Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, until nicely browned.


Let cool about 5 - 7 minutes, until you are able to pick them up in your hand. They should be fairly hot still BUT not so that they will burn you!!! Use caution.
Very gently run a butter knife around the cone - between the tinfoil and the bread - to loosen. Twist the cone carefully and pull it out.
Using a butter knife, spread a bit of the pizza sauce around the inside of each cone.
Fill with your favorite pizza toppings. ** I put a bit of cheese in the bottom of the cone so it would melt and stop any leaking that might occur. ** I then layered a bit of meat, bit of cheese, bit of onion/green pepper, bit more pizza sauce, bit of cheese, meat, etc.. until the cone was full.
Be sure to end with cheese so it looks all melty!


I baked some propped up and some lying flat and found out it didn't really make much difference. You can just lay them back on the cookie sheet and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so - until the cheese is melted.


Serve warm or room temp with a little extra pizza sauce (or favorite dipping sauce) on the side.


You can freeze these and then just microwave for a minute and they are good as fresh.
I love how easy these are and that all you need is ice cream cones to make them. I have found you can peel off the tinfoil and reuse the cones a couple of times before they get too fragile.
I think making a Reuben in a cone (sauerkraut, corned beef, Swiss cheese, dressing) may be next on my list. :)

Want to see some other fun links? Visit The Velvet Moon Baker and Love Bakes Good Cakes and Hun...What's For Dinner? and Carole's Chatter.

9 comments:

  1. These are so cool! Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of pizza in a cone - mess free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I totally love it :-) Thank you for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kiddos would LOVE this :) Thank you so much for sharing at last week's party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pizza cones are finally available in the USA in ALL pizzerias, no equipment or special machinery necessary. Check this out http://www.pcifrozenfoods.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awsome job! Where can I buy those pizzacone holders, with porcelain and deep deposits. They are just fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe we found those at a Winners/Home Sense store several years ago. :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the information. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete