Saturday, March 9, 2013

Irish Potato Bread


Of all the places I have travelled, Ireland was my second favorite. (My first being Scotland)
Ireland is so amazingly beautiful, the people are so friendly, and the culture is easy to love.
I know one day I will make my way back there.
Until then....
I will make dishes, like this crunchy-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside potato bread to remind me of Ireland. I was inspired to make this recipe after reading something similar in my Irish Cooking cookbook. This would be perfect served alongside some corned beef and cabbage OR some hearty potato soup.


Irish Potato Bread
(inspired by Irish Cooking cookbook)

Ingredients
3/4 cup cooked, mashed potato
3/4 cup raw, grated potato
1 egg
1 egg white
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp chives, diced
1 tsp caraway seeds (or you can use sesame seeds)
3 cups flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Lightly oil an 8 inch cast iron pan or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
Mix the mashed potato with the grated potato. Stir in egg, egg white, oil, and milk until well combined.
In another bowl, stir together chives, caraway seeds, flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until a soft dough forms.
Lightly flour a work surface. Turn the dough out onto the flour and knead 6 - 7 times. Place dough into center of prepared cast iron pan and gently press into an 8 inch circle. Use a sharp knife to cut an "X" into the top.

As you can see, I cut a star into the top instead of just an "X". Either works fine!

Bake at 375 for about 45 - 55 minutes. It should be nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped.


Remove from oven and let sit on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool for at least an hour before slicing. or it will be rather crumbly to cut.


Simple yet looks so impressive.
Oh...yes.....it tastes AMAZING too. When I made a second loaf I threw in 1/2 cup of shredded Mozza cheese and it was crazy good.
It can be a little hard to tell when it is completely cooked. If in doubt...leave it in a few minutes longer. If, perchance, you remove it before it is not completely cooked through.
Don't panic.
I've been there....done that...
What I do if this happens is slice the bread and toast it before serving it. Irish Potato Bread toast is just as tasty!



Be sure to visit Carole's Chatter for some fun links!

43 comments:

  1. My Father use to make this for us kids growing up! I am going to give this a try so I can call him and tell him I made it too :)

    I wanted to invite you to our weekly Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Friday nights till the end of Monday, come link up if you have some time :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/03/weekend-meet-greet-blog-hop-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo and Sue,
    I love this bread, it looks so delicious. Thank you so much for sharing it at my link party, I featured IT on Follow Up Thursday. Can't wait to see what you share next week.
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile
    p.s.
    I pinned it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to tell you, I agree! My favorite places I've traveled is Scotland and Ireland! We have a lot in commend.
      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Jo and Sue, I saw this at Wanda's Memories by the Mile, and had to come over and see it! It's really beautiful and sounds SO good. I love making bread with potatoes- I want to try this!

    I am now following you on Twitter and Pinterest....I couldn't quite locate you on FB...if you'll send me your FB address, I'll follow you there, too! :)

    Joy @ Yesterfood
    http://yesterfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy :)
      I believe this is the link to our Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joandsueblogspotcom/190296311027578

      Delete
  4. I made this today and it turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bread looks great however I have a question. The mashed potato called for ... is it just potato mashed or mashed potato (left over from dinner) made with milk and butter etc or does it not matter? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, It really doesn't matter. I made a mashed potato with no butter and milk just to make these BUT you certainly could use leftovers with butter and milk. :)

      Delete
  6. Can you make this in a breadmaker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a yeast bread, just a quick bread so I don't know if it would work in a breadmaker. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience in that area! Sorry I can't be of more help.

      Delete
  7. Do u have to use a cast Iron pan ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I do not have whole wheat flour, can I just use 3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete

  9. Just had to tell you that we're featuring this amazing recipe in our "The Monthly Musing" newsletter at Life in a House of Testosterone for St. Patrick's Day! I cannot wait to try this one out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just use a loaf pan? I don't have a cast iron skillet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could but you would have to adjust your cooking time depending on the size of your loaf pan. I might be more apt to try baking it in a cake pan than a loaf pan.

      Delete
  11. Sounds really good, I've made Irish Soda Bread many times, but never with potato. I'll be trying this. BTW, most bread is baked through when it's internal temperature reaches about 200°F on an instant read thermometer stuck into it's center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a recipe for IRISH POTATO BREAD!!
      IRISH SODA BREAD is a different recipe altogether!!

      Delete
  12. add Rosemary and be generous with it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this in the oven right now. Looking forward to eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. My only thoughts are that maybe your baking powder is too old or also over working the dough can sometimes cause it to not rise as much. Sorry I can't be of more help....

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Sorry it's my dough is too sticky I can't form it, what can I do?

      Delete
    2. You could try adding more flour. You could also just scrape the dough into the pan without kneading it. This will change the texture a bit but should still cook up.

      Delete
  16. Going to try to make this not a very good cook but what do think about adding in cornmeal for the 1/4of cup of wheat flour iam attempting this as a gluten free recipe we shall see what happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how it turns out for you Nunnie528 :)

      Delete
  17. This sounds really, really good, and I look forward to making it the next time I have some leftover mashed potatoes. Since it is not a yeast bread, does it have enough sturdiness and structure to make it work as a sandwich bread? I can't stop thinking about it as the bread part of a corned beef sandwich . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, It is fairly sturdy but I am not sure how it would hold up a a sandwich. The texture is more crumbly than a yeast bread. Please let us know if you try it.

      Delete
  18. I have a sensitivity to yeast, so I'm excited to try this! Do you need to beat the egg white before you mix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't need to beat the egg white first. :)

      Delete
  19. You mentioned an Irish cookbook. Is this one of those recipes or is this one you picked up in Ireland? Hell I'll just ask outright,is this an authentic Irish recipe? I am going to make it either way. Would just like to know.Thanks for the recipe!! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is an authentic Irish recipe. It was slightly adapted from the Irish Cooking cookbook which I picked up in Ireland. :)

      Delete
  20. This is such a good bread!!! I can't believe how fast I ate the whole loaf. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are so glad you enjoyed it! It's hard to stop at just one piece! :)

      Delete
  21. Ala@ind-alchemy.comMarch 1, 2021 at 10:23 AM

    Made it yesterday. It's a very shaggy dough. Mine was tighter than yours. Should I have kneeded it more? It was so shaggy it was truly hard to kneed.

    Tastes yummy though. Will try toasting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you use all purpose flour ?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Russets, red, white, or Yukon Gold? There are too many varieties (textures) when selecting a potato for a recipe. Sure looks tasty, though.

    ReplyDelete