Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Double Pistachio Cupcakes


Okay.
I admit it.
This one is totally a cheat recipe.
Boxed cake and boxed pudding with packaged Dreamwhip.
Not exactly from scratch.
I KNOW.
We are allowed one once in a while. Trust  me, this turns out so cute and tasty people won't mind that it's from a box. That is...if you decide to tell them...


Double Pistachio Cupcakes

Ingredients
Cake
1 pkg white cake mix
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1 pkg pistachio pudding (small - 4 serving size)
1 cup water
few drops green food coloring - optional

Frosting
1 pkg Dreamwhip
1 pkg pistachio pudding (small - 4 serving size)
1 1/2 cup cold milk
few drops green food coloring - optional

Decorations
1 - 2 cup pistachios, chopped
24 pistachios, whole

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin trays with paper liners, set aside.
Cake: Mix together ingredients until well combined. Spoon evenly into the 24 cupcake liners.
Bake at 350 for about 15 - 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.


Remove from oven. Let cool on wire racks.
When cool, prepare frosting.
Frosting: Whisk together pudding and Dreamwhip. Beat in milk using an electric mixer until thick and fluffy. Beat in a few drops of green food coloring if desired. (I didn't find it necessary)
How I decorated: I put a thin line of frosting around the outer ring of the cupcake.
Put the chopped pistachios in a shallow dish. Carefully roll the iced edge of the cupcakes in the nuts.
Pipe or spoon the remaining frosting on top of the cupcakes.
Place a single, whole pistachio on top.


As you can see, I didn't frost all the way to the sides of the cupcakes - instead I just did a little blob in the middle. (Okay, actually Sue had to pipe it. I can't pipe. *sigh*)
Doing it this way I was left with a little of the frosting.
Which I ate.
I can't help myself. I mean...it's pudding and whipped cream, people.
My point being, if you choose to frost the entire cupcake you will probably use up all the icing and not have any leftover to eat.
In case you do that sort of thing...
Anyway...
These are really cute for St. Patrick's Day.

Be sure to stop by Easy Life and Hun... What's For Dinner? for some great links to more food and crafty fun!

4 comments:

  1. I somehow missed these. Thank you for mentioning Memories by the Mile and giving me the credit. They look delicious. I love the way you decorated them.
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some funky colors. It would be great for St. Patty's day. I also want to thank you for a blog you did a while a go about making labels on your blog. It really helped my sister and I. Thank you for sharing it on our Four Seasons Blog Hop. Pinning Now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound wonderful and I think it is perfectly okay if you find something that is a shortcut but yet delicious! I have a couple of recipes that includes boxed cake mix and I love them! I also love Dreamwhip frosting! They sound really good.

    ReplyDelete