Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cheese Ball Carrots


I couldn't decide whether to post this for Easter or for April Fools' Day.
These cheese balls look sooooo cute!
And...they totally look like carrots. From a distance you could fool anybody, I'm sure of it.
I saw this idea over at She Wears Many Hats and knew I had to make it for the ladies at work.
I changed up the recipe a tad to suit what I had on hand so you can always visit She Wears Many Hats to find Amy Johnson's version.  
This takes all of about 15 - 20 minutes from start to finish. Bring this to your Easter supper as a fun appetizer. I guarantee you will have everyone talking about what a creative genius you are.


Cheese Ball Carrots
(Adapted from She Wears Many Hats)

Ingredients
8 oz (1 brick) cream cheese, room temp
2 cups finely shredded, aged cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp very finely minced onion
1 - 2 drops orange food coloring (optional)

Sprigs of fresh parsley for stems

Directions
Using a fork, smush all the ingredients together (except parsley) in a bowl until combined. Then use your hands to thoroughly mix the ingredients until smooth.


Divide the mixture into 7 to 9 sections, depending on how many carrots you want. Use your hands to roll these into elongated cone shapes (ie: carrot shapes). If it is too sticky to handle simply chill for half an hour or so to let firm up. No need to be perfect as real carrots are a bit bendy and such too.


Use a butter knife to lightly cut little lines into the shapes to resemble real carrots. Place on a serving platter.


Stick a sprig or two of parsley into the top of each carrot.


Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Serve with crackers.
You will want to shred your cheese as finely as possible. If you buy the pre-shredded cheese the pieces will be too big and will make your carrots look funny.
Same as the onion. Chop it as small as humanly possible. If you have big chunks then your carrots will be chunky and less realistic looking.
You don't have to use the food coloring if you prefer not to. They carrots do look orange without it BUT they look even more orange with it. Up to you!
Super simple.
Super cool.
Perfect for Easter or April Fools' Day.

 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, they look so real. Great job. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, these are the cutest things ever! I bet they taste wonderful. My daughter and I are big fans of cheese ball! I will have to remember this - better go and put it in my Pinterest brain!

    Thank you for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link party. I look forward to seeing what you bring next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBIg.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH kudos to you for having the most creative and tasty cheese balls on Huffington. :) Saving this one...I can tell from your ingredients that it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am featuring your cheeseball carrots tomorrow at Tasty Tuesday. Make sure you stop by and grab a featured button and link up again!

    Julia @ Mini Van Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this idea... So creative! Nicely done! :-)

    ReplyDelete