Sunday, March 31, 2013

Carrot Cake Fudge

 
I still haven't mastered how to make boiled fudge. You know, the kind that requires a candy thermometer..... Candy thermometers hate me.
It's true. I've accepted it.
Good thing there is amazing recipes like this Carrot Cake Fudge from Inside BruCrew Life. No candy thermometer required. For that matter...no boiling required either.  
My kind of fudge recipe.
Oh, yes, it's also delicious and totally tastes like carrot cake!
 
 
Carrot Cake Fudge
(Ever-so-slightly adapted from Inside Brucrew Life)
 
Ingredients
Carrot Cake Fudge Layer
1/4 cup butter
3 cups white chocolate chips
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup dry carrot cake cake mix
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
 
Cream Cheese Fudge Layer
1 cup white chocolate chips
3/4 cup cream cheese frosting
3 Tbsp marshmallow cream
 
Candies to decorate
 
Directions
Line a 9 X 13 pan with parchment paper, set aside.
In a large saucepan - combine butter, 3 cups white chocolate chips, and sweetened condensed milk. Stir over low heat until melty and smooth.
Stir in the dry cake mix, a little at a time, until thoroughly combined. Stir in the marshmallow cream. Stir well. Spread into prepared 9 X 13 pan. Chill for about an hour.
When first layer is chilled - melt the 1 cup white chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in frosting and marshmallow cream.
Spread over the carrot cake layer in the 9 X 13 pan. You may need to use your fingers to help spread the fudge as it is very thick.
 
 
You can now press candies into the top of the fudge to decorate, if desired.
I waited until the fudge was chilled and cut before I put the candies on. I simply pressed them down firmly into the fudge to get them to stay. (Waiting to put the decorations on will mean the decorations MAY NOT stay in place as well. Just sayin')
Chill about an hour before cutting.
 
 
This was super simple and was perfect for Easter. I'm thinking it would be great any time of year as it would certainly pretty up a plate of squares for any occasion.
I decorated with Carrot Cake flavored M&Ms...which are not available in Canada, by the way. My friend, Kerry, put out a request on a cupcake page on Facebook and a lovely lady in the US said she would send us some only-available-in-the-US candy in return for Kerry and I sending her some only-available-in-Canada-candy and maple syrup.
Pretty exciting, right?
I thought so.
This also prompted one of  my friends that used to live in Lillooet but now lives in the US to say she would also send us some American candy.
*aaaaaaah!!*
Beyond crazy with candy happiness.
 
Be sure to pop by The Chicken Chick and Ms. enPlace and The Rustic Pig and Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and Feeding Big for tons of great links!

6 comments:

  1. Jo and Sue, just letting you know that you are in my Featured Food Blog sidebar for April on Carole's Chatter. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a candy thermometer I really trusted. Which is a bad way to start the candy making process.

    This is a really unusual fudge and such a fun idea! Thank you for sharing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting idea.......Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete