Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cheeseburger Pickle Pie

 
I know you are reading this right now because you saw the title "Cheeseburger Pickle Pie" and you thought - whaaaaaaaat? pickle pie?
Yes.
Pickle pie.
But, let's not forget the cheeseburger part.
The delicious, melty, cheesy, burgery part...which just so happens to go amazingly well with the pickle part.
I don't even like pickles but I looooove this pie. It definitely needs the pickles to make it something special. Sue, on the other hand, is part pickle. I'm pretty sure she has vinegar in her veins.
Anyway, I made this pie years ago and just about forgot about it until I was going through my old recipe album. I'm not even sure how I came up with this.....I'm pretty sure it would have been out of desperation and lack of ingredients...
One of those surprise-it's-delicious-because-you-weren't-expecting it kind of things.
I love those.
Oh, by the way, use regular dill pickles for this. None of those fancy mustard pickles or sweet pickles or whatever else they have. Dill. Pickles.
 
 
Cheeseburger Pickle Pie
 
Ingredients
Crust
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
4 Tbsp cold water

Filling
1 lb hamburger
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Sprinkle salt
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup pickle juice
1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup chopped pickles
2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
.
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
To Make Pastry: In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles tiny peas. Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork after each addition. Mix lightly just until pastry comes together. Pat into bottom and up side of an 8 inch pie pan.
 
 
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
To Make Filling: Crumble ground beef into a large skillet and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Continue to saute until beef is no longer pink. Drain grease from mixture, if any.
Sprinkle beef mixture with salt and 1/4 cup flour. Stir in pickle liquid, milk, pickles, and 1 cup shredded cheese. Spoon mixture into pastry shell.
 
 
Sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
 
 
 Bake an additional 15 or so minutes, until pastry is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
 
 
Don't tell me you aren't at least a little bit curious about what this tastes like.
Let me give you a heads up...
It. Is. Crazy. Good.
Like, convert-the-pickle-haters good.
 
Be sure to visit Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and My Turn (for us) for some fabulous links!

8 comments:

  1. As odd as the title sounds at first, it makes total sense. When you order a cheeseburger anywhere, the pickle nicely sets off the heaviness of the cheese and meat. So this recipe sounds awesome to me!

    If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

    http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-10/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe for dinner last night and it was wonderful! I just substituted cheddar cheese for the swiss because it was what I had on hand, and it turned out great.

    Thanks for a great recipe that I will keep on hand in case I need a quick and fun idea for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try it with cheddar! So glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  3. Made this for supper tonight and crumbled up some cooked bacon in it. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this sooo much i have converted from normal cheeseburgers to this!! 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite recipes! We usually use cheddar cheese and spread a bit of mustard on the crust before adding the meat mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odd question but would you have any idea if this would work with Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat vegetarian “hamburger meat”???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure.... that being said - I don't see why not. You cook the filling before putting it in the shell so it should work. It just might be more crumbly.

      Delete