Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies

 
Guess what ISN'T in these cookies.
Give up?
There is no eggs AND no flour.
Weeeeeeeeird.....right?
You would never know.
Okay, now guess what IS in these cookies.
Hint...the title may have given it away.
That's right.....chickpeas.
Weeeeeeeeird......right?
Again...you would never know.
These taste like cookie cookies. Not weird, flourless, chickpea cookies. They even look like cookie cookies.
When I first saw these over at Hungry Little Girl I was intrigued. I knew I had to give them a go. This is going to count as my healthified cookie for Christmas.
Actually, this is going to count as my healthified cookie for every occasion. They are delicious. I got 20 cookies out of the recipe and, per cookie, the nutritional values (according to Fitday) are:
Calories - 107
Fat - 4.43
Carbs - 14.6
Protein - 3.4.
As near as I can tell this is approximately 95 calories, 5 fat, 11 carbs LESS than a "normal" chocolate chip cookie of the same size. I say "approximately" because, of course, this will vary greatly depending on the cookie. 
 
 
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
 
Ingredients
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup M&Ms
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Rinse and drain chickpeas.
 
 
Process chickpeas in a blender or food processor until they have a paste like texture.
In a large bowl, combine smushed chickpeas, peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and baking powder. Mix until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
 
 
Using a small to medium cookie scoop (or about 2 Tbsp of dough), drop on prepared cookie tray. Lightly press down the dough with a fork dipped in sugar.
 
 
Bake at 350 for approx 20 - 30 minutes. Tops should be slightly browned. Remove from oven, let cool at least 6 or 7 minutes on cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
 
Note - These are soft until they cool. If you try to remove the cookies from the tray and find they are breaking up, leave them to cool longer on the cookie sheet. They get firmer once they cool. (But, they are still a soft cookie - they aren't crunchy!)
Note #2 - As you can see from the photo above, I didn't use regular chocolate chips. I used vanilla baking chips in Christmas colors. Any flavor baking chips could be subbed for the chocolate chips. Same goes for the M&Ms. You could sub out more chocolate chips instead of using M&Ms.
If you are nervous about trying weird and crazy recipes that use odd ingredients like chickpeas instead of flour and eggs then I definitely suggest trying this one.
It does not taste weird and crazy. It doesn't even taste healthified.
It tastes like a cookie.
A tasty, tasty cookie.
 
Visit Six Sister's Stuff and The Chicken Chick and Ms. enPlace and A Humble Bumble  for tons of great links!

7 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I will have to try them (but not tell the kids and hubby until after they've eaten them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely one of those recipes that you don't tell the secret ingredient until AFTER its been tasted! ;) I bet they will never guess!

      Delete
  2. How cool! Isn't it fun discovering new ways to be healthier? Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I don't know why I am so "afraid" of the healthy stuff. I should know better by now. lol

      Delete
  3. This is wild! I've heard of zucchini brownies, but never chickpea cookies. If I hadn't read the title I would have thought they were simply cookie cookies.
    Thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these today and they were totally awesome! I love them! My husband loves them too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete