Friday, April 13, 2012

Maple Garlic Wings


Ever have one of those days when you are craving something but you don’t know what it is that you want? For example – you really, REALLY want chocolate but NO, not that chocolate, and NO not a chocolate chip cookies, and NO not chocolate ice cream…and then you finally just have a hot chocolate because you are getting tired of walking around the kitchen looking for chocolate stuff and everyone around you is ready to kill you because you have been whining about wanting chocolate the whole day and the hot chocolate totally hits the spot.
That’s what I was going through last night.
Except, instead of wanting chocolate I wanted something made with chicken.
I was done work at 2:00 and started thinking about dinner and knew that I wanted chicken…..was craving chicken, actually, but didn’t know what to make with it. I started looking on the internet and flipping through random cookbooks in my bookshelf but nothing was jumping out at me. Then I started going through the cupboards looking for sauces or mixes that might work.
Nothing.
Then I realized it was getting close to 4:00 so if I wanted to put anything in the oven I had better get to it.
And thus this sauce was born.


Jo’s-Desperately-Craving-Chicken-But-Can’t-Find-A-Recipe recipe.
(Or, Maple Garlic Wings for short)
Ingredients
¼ cup real maple syrup
2 Tbsp Thai Sweet Chili sauce
1 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ Tbsp prepared mustard
Splash of HP or Worchestershire sauce
Salt & pepper
6 chicken wings

 Directions
Pour sauce ingredients together in a Ziplock (or any plastic) bag. Squish together so it is mixed.
Place chicken wings into sauce and marinate in refrigerator for a few hours. (Or, if you are like me and short on time, don’t worry about marinating them. Just throw them in the sauce and make sure they are well covered.)
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 pan with cooking spray. Place wings in pan. Reserve marinade sauce.
Bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes (Until chicken is cooked). Flip chicken over once during cooking. After 30 minutes, brush chicken wings with marinade and return to oven. Turn on broiler and broil for 5 minutes. Flip chicken over, brush with remaining marinade, and broil 5 more minutes. (Watch that chicken doesn’t burn, it should be nice and brown and just starting to crisp up the skin.

 Turns out it was exactly what I needed to curb the craving. Plus, it is delicious so I will definitely be making it again. I only made 6 chicken wings but the sauce can easily by doubled or tripled for more wings. It was sweet, but not too sweet, garlic-y, but not too garlic-y, with just the right amount of crispy-chewy-stickiness.
I love it when you can satisfy those annoying don’t-know-what-I-want-but-I-know-it’s-not-that cravings with something you throw together at the last minute. It definitely needs to happen more often.

Stop by Carole's Chatter for tons of fabulous links!

2 comments:

  1. oh this sounds so good. I'm happily addicted to maple syrup. I use #3, which in Canadian grades, is the least processed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo and Sue - like the sound of this very much. Thanks for joining in the garlicky fun! Cheers

    ReplyDelete