Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Baked Indian Spiced Sweet Potato Patties


Need something different to serve with your next meal?
You have got to try these.
I saw the photo of these on Pinterest and new I had to try them. The color is just so fantastic. Let's face it, how often do we get to eat orange food?
The original recipe is from Soni's Food For Thought. I changed it a little bit to deal with what I had on hand, and the result was really good.
Really.
Really.
Really.
Good.



Indian Spiced Sweet Potato Patties

Ingredients
1 large sweet potato
1 medium potato
1/8 tsp ground ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp corn starch
salt & pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
Wash the sweet potato and potato and scrub clean.
Prick both of them all over with a fork. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave until fork tender. (For me that was about 10 minutes, turn them over, 6 minutes more)
Remove from microwave and let sit until cool enough to handle.


Peel them both and place the "meat" in a big bowl. Discard the skin.


Mash with a potato masher to break up.


Add in spices and cornstarch and mash until smooth and creamy with only small lumps remaining.
Take some of the mix between your hands and pat it into small patties (about 2 - 3 inches in diameter). Place the patties about 2 inches apart on the parchment paper.
Bake in 425 oven for about 12 minutes.
Carefully flip patties over and bake for another 12 minutes.
Turn broiler on. Broil about 5 minutes (until the side is nicely brown), and then gently flip patties over and broil another 5 minutes (until nice and brown).
Serve hot!
Ketchup on the side for dipping is tasty :)

Okay, the original recipe called for shallow frying in oil. I tried that but apparently am not very good at shallow frying.


This is my fried one. I had too much trouble with frying. They stuck in the pan, they fell apart, and - they got too crispy. They still tasted really, really good though.
I was happy with the way they turned out in the oven. They were still fairly crispy and they are healthier without the oil!
I will definitely make them in the oven again.

A couple of things about this recipe.
(1) Making the patties is kind of sticky. I rinsed my hands after about every 4 patties to keep from getting too sticky.
(2) If you want it to be spicier you can add some finely chopped jalapenos. (The original recipe called for them but I didn't have any.)
(3) It can be a little tricky to flip them over. Use a metal spatula and make sure you work with smooth strokes to flip them.
(4) Do keep an eye on them in the oven. At such a high temperature/broiling they can go from "nice and brown" to "burnt" in a matter of seconds.

This is a very simple, inexpensive recipe that really spices up a meal. I served it with leftover roast chicken and a green salad and it was wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me know about these gorgeous patties!So glad you loved them and these look great!
    I should have recommended a non-stick pan to shallow fry these,my fault! In any case your baked version sounds equally delish and even more healthier :)

    ReplyDelete