Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Treats


Another Easter dinner has come and gone and Sue and I found some pretty cute Easter related food to make this year. The bunny above is one that we make almost every year.
He is simply shaped out of bread, baked, and then you scoop out his tummy and fill him with dip for veggies.


Here is a close up so you can see his cute buck teeth made of almonds and googly eyes made of raisins.


Then we made some carrots out of Pillsbury crescent rolls and filled them with salmon that our dad had smoked, mixed with cream cheese. This idea was from Hungry Happenings . You should click the link to visit that site if you haven't been there yet. It is full of amazingly creative ideas. Sue and I have made many of the amazing recipes from Hungry Happenings.


The Hungry Happenings site used cream horn molds to make the carrots but Sue couldn't find her molds. To improvise we simply crumpled up tinfoil into carrot shapes (kind of - our carrot shaping skills need some work), sprayed them with a little cooking spray, and then wrapped with crescent dough. Please go to the Hungry Happenings site for a full tutorial and step by step photos.


See.......kind-of carrot shaped. At least everyone knew what we were trying to do.


For one of our appetizers Sue made these delicious Couscous Poppers. We will post a follow up blog with the recipe for these. They were so tasty!


These little guys were one of my favorite new recipes this Easter. All you have to do is get some crunchy green grapes, dip them in caramels melted with a little cream, then dip them in finely chopped, salted peanuts. So addicting. Like little tiny caramel apples....but better...


And, of course, it wouldn't be Easter without sugar cookies. Sue and I baked for a fundraiser for the local hospital so made a billion of these cute little guys. The Decorated Cookie was our inspiration for these cookies.


I made the cutest, teeny-tinniest little guy because I couldn't get over how cute they were.
That little purple guy? His name is Ed.
I had to give him a name.


Some more bunnies and chicks. Created by Diane shared the bunnies on Pinterest so we thought we would give them a try. The chicks we came up with because we were just getting really tired of bunnies.
I know..I know.....Tired of bunnies? Who gets tired of bunnies?
You try frosting 10 million bunnies and then let me know what you think...


We also made some chocolate cake eggs and decorated them with candies and some melted icing.


Another great Hungry Happenings idea was the Easter bunny bums. Sooooo adorable. We used marshmallow fondant for the bunny and jelly beans for carrots.


When we ran out of jelly bean "carrots" we used some candy flowers for our "gardens".
Yup, still cute!


Of course, there was the bunny buns I made a little early this week.


Aaaaaaaand the Easter Rainbow Bread from earlier this week as well.

Of course our Easter dinner was full of a crazy amount of food. Salads and ham and turkey and hot cross buns and desserts and on and on and on.
I think we had about 25 family and friends in the house for Easter dinner this year.
Food, family, and friends.
What more could anyone ask for?
 
Want to see some great links? Pop over the The Mandatory Mooch and Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons for tons :)

17 comments:

  1. Wow, you two are so amazing. I am always in awe of how much fun food your produce each holiday. Everything you made looks fantastic! I'll share your pictures in my gallery tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm echoing Beth's "wow"!! Amazing. And thank you so much for linking to me, I LOVE your bunny cookies, and so glad your bake sale was a success!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much :) It means a lot coming from two amazing ladies such as you. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed your grapes from Pinterest :) Super cute Easter party stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. making the grapes tomorrow for mothers day! What caramel do you use? I couldn't find anything but the apple dipping caramel... I hope it works because they look tasty, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....I used the Kraft caramels. (The little squares) I just melted them with a Tbsp or 2 or cream - to get them about the consistency of the dipping caramel - and it worked great. Please let us know how yours turned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the caramel apple grapes! Can't wait to make them for my kids. Do you use frozen grapes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The grapes weren't frozen. Bought them from the produce dept., rinsed them, patted them dry, and then used like that. :)

      Delete
  8. tried the grapes but the carmel didn't stay on very well. wondering if I should have put them on wax paper and froze or refrigerated to get them to "set"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made sure the grapes were dry when we dipped them. Then we lined a cookie tray with parchment paper and after we dipped the grapes in the caramel and peanuts we set them on the cookie tray. We kept them in the fridge until ready to serve. We did notice that as the grapes got warmer the caramel started to slide down a bit. It is probably a good idea to keep them chilled until serving. :) I don't think freezing is necessary.

      Delete
    2. worked perfectly ~ thanks so much for the tips!!

      Delete
    3. You are welcome! I'm glad they worked for you. I hope they were a big hit :)

      Delete
  9. what kind of cream do i need for the grapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just regular cream. You can use whole milk, 1/2 and 1/2, or whipping cream (heavy cream). Just add it a Tbsp at a time until you get a dippable consistency (NOT TOO THIN!)

      Delete
  10. I love these fun ideas. Especially the cookies. I will be FEATURING this post on Tasty Thursdays this week. The party will be live tonight. Thanks for linking up!! Nichi

    ReplyDelete