Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chai Tea Latte Ice Cream


So I had to come up with something to bring to work for some of the ladies 
so they wouldn't make my work week miserable.
They invited me for dinner on the weekend and I said no....and then I ended up going out with my niece and - to make a long story short - they came to the same restaurant we were at so I got caught.
See...I had told them I wasn't going out because I felt yucky and didn't want to go to a restaurant, which was true, but then my niece wanted to go for dinner and, well, when you are an awesome aunty like I am, you can't say no to your niece.
Anyway, we were teasing each other across the restaurant and they threatened me that I had better come to work on Monday with a pretty spectacular treat "or else".
"Or else" generally means that I will be teased unmercifully all week.
Yeah, they are mean that way.
Anyway.... I know that in the summer they love to drink Chai Tea Latte milkshakes so I thought why not try some Chai Tea Latte Ice Cream?
Except any of the recipes I could find online were just not quite what I was looking for. I decided to try out my own concoction. Turned out pretty tasty!


Chai Tea Latte Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 cups whipping cream (heavy cream)
2 cups 1/2 & 1/2 cream, divided
8 Chai tea bags, cut open
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
2/3 cup sugar, divided
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup caramel sauce

Directions
In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups cream, 1 cup 1/2 & 1/2, tea (emptied out of bags), spices, vanilla seeds and pod, 1/3 cup sugar.


Stirring often, bring to the boiling point (bubbles should just be starting to break the surface), remove from heat, cover, and let steep 15 minutes.
While tea is steeping, in a stand mixer, beat egg yolks with remaining 1/3 cup sugar until light.
Place a strainer over a bowl and line with cheesecloth (or several sheets paper towel) Strain tea mixture through the cloth, into the bowl. (Be careful as mixture is hot.) (Discard cheesecloth with vanilla pod and such in it.)
With mixer running, slowly pour hot mixture into egg yolks. (Do this slowly, a little at a time, so you don't curdle your eggs) Once combined, pour back into saucepan and return to medium heat.
Take the bowl you just poured the hot mixture out of and put the remaining 1 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 cream in it. Place the strainer back on top, this time with no cheesecloth.
Cook and stir the egg/cream mixture constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
Pour through strainer into 1/2 & 1/2. Stir to combine.
Place in refrigerator to chill completely.
Once chilled, place in your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
When ice cream maker is finished, before you freeze your ice cream, swirl in the caramel sauce.


I am hoping this treat is enough of a bribe for the ladies at work.
Angel, Rhea, if you are reading this, you are not allowed to be mean to me AT ALL because this ice cream is delicious.

Check out some fun links at Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and Carole's Chatter!

No comments:

Post a Comment