Monday, August 22, 2011

Blackberry Ice Cream

Our dad is the supreme being of ice cream makers. He started out without an ice cream machine – just using the stir and freeze method. Then he moved up to the kind you pour ice around and salt and have to keep checking every 10 minutes. Now, thanks to a dear friend, he has the fancy schmancy kind that you just plug in and leave. It has a timer and everything. It’s pretty awe inspiring.
Even better.....sometimes he lets us use it!
This week I have been experimenting with different flavours. I figured I better get the ice cream making out of my system before autumn and it is too chilly for ice cream.
(Wait, did I just say it got too chilly for ice cream? What am I saying! It is NEVER too chilly for ice cream. )
This one is a twist on a classic dad flavour – Raspberry Ice Cream. Sue brought us some blackberries from her in-laws so I thought they would be tasty instead of the usual raspberries. Don’t get me wrong, dad’s raspberry ice cream is phenomenal. Just thought I would give it my own twist.
Blackberry Ice Cream
Ingredients
4 cups blackberry puree
2 cups whipping cream
¼ cup corn syrup
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
 Directions
In large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved and eggs are very light in color. Add corn syrup and beat until well combined. Add in blackberry puree and whipping cream. Beat about 5 minutes, until very smooth.
Process according to manufactures instructions for your ice cream maker.

The blackberry puree! Lovely color, yes?

Before the freezing

It’s just that simple. If you aren’t lucky enough to have an ice cream maker then you can use the stir and freeze method. Basically this involves freezing it and taking it out and stirring it every couple of hours. If you want it really smooth you can take it out every couple of hours and whip it with beaters. This, of course, is far messier.
I have a couple of other flavours I want to try. In the past I made a Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream that was okay....needs some improvements before I make it again, and a French Vanilla Ice Cream that was very good.....very custardy. This week I am thinking about Plum Ice Cream and Salted Caramel Ice Cream (thanks to the Busty Baker’s Blog for getting that flavour stuck in my head)
 What are your favourite ice cream flavours?
What’s the weirdest ice cream flavour you’ve tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment