Saturday, February 15, 2014

Single Serving Maple Pecan Muffin (Gluten Free)


Here I am venturing into the world of gluten free again. 
I am starting to get a bit more comfortable cooking with different types of flour. 
A bit.
Let's not go crazy here yet. I still am much more familiar developing recipes with all purpose flour. 
That being said, I think I was pretty successful with this one. 
I wanted to attempt a single serving recipe as I have not done that with gluten free before. I used a 4 inch ramekin to bake this in so it almost looks more like a scone than a muffin. If you used a smaller ramekin I think it would look more muffin-y. 
Shape aside, it tastes very good and the texture, while still a bit "gluten free"ish to me, is also good. 


Single Serving Maple Pecan Muffin (Gluten Free)

Ingredients
2 Tbsp quinoa flour
1 tsp coconut flour
pinch salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 egg white
1 Tbsp maple syrup, divided
2 pecan halves, finely diced, divided

Instructions
Preheat toaster oven (or regular oven) to 350. Line a small, oven safe ramekin (I used a 4 inch) with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together quinoa flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking powder. 
In a separate small bowl, whisk egg white and half of the maple syrup until well combined. 
Stir together the dry and wet ingredients until just mixed. 
Stir in half of the pecans. 
Scrape batter into prepared ramekin.
Sprinkle with remaining pecans. 


Bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes. (Toothpick inserted near center should come out clean and top should be golden brown.)


Drizzle with the remaining maple syrup.


Let cool 10 minutes in the ramekin before running a knife along the edge to loosen and using the parchment paper to lift out the muffin.


Serve warm or at room temp.


According to Myfitnesspal the nutritional info is:
152 calories, 23 carbs, 3 fat, and 6 protein.
Pretty good if you are craving a quick snack. Perfect for breakfast or even for dessert. 
**NOTE** One thing I will say about this recipe is that it does have a quinoa taste to it. The quinoa flour is quite noticeable for that. You could probably substitute almond flour or something similar if you are not a huge fan of quinoa flour. 

*UPDATE* - I really wanted to try this with another gluten free flour but didn't have any. I decided to grind up some oats in the blender so I could try it with oat flour. 
It worked like a charm!


I ground up 1/4 cup of oats and it yielded the 2 Tbsp that I needed plus some leftover.
I have to say, I think I liked the oat version a bit better.  The texture was a bit fluffier - closer to a "normal" muffin, in my opinion. 
I also doubled the recipe to make 2 muffins and it worked just fine. 

*UPDATE #2* - I made these again, one with quinoa flour and one with oat flour, for a friend to get an opinion on which she liked better. 
This time I baked them in my regular oven instead of my toaster oven so I was able to use a regular muffin tin.


The oat flour is on top and the quinoa on the bottom. This is before they were cooked.


There is after. In this photo the quinoa flour is on top and the oat on the bottom.


They turned out so cute. The quinoa seemed to rise a bit more but I still think the oat is a bit fluffier. 
Let us know what you think! (We would love to hear from you if tried a different flour altogether too!) 

We're sharing over at Carol's Chatter, be sure to pop by and say Hi!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! These look delicious! Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can't wait to see what you link up next week!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise.com
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know I am sharing your wonderful recipe tomorrow in my Gluten-Free Recipe RoundUp with a link back to your original post!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy from APeekIntoMyParadise.com

    ReplyDelete