Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lobster Sandwiches With Homemade Dill Mayo


I wanted to share this sandwich with you before Sue and I take our annual vacation to Prince George to visit family. 
I like to call this the most expensive sandwich in the world. Want to know what a can of lobster goes for here? $17.00.
Yup.
That's right.
$17.00 for one can.
Crazy, right? I had to buy it though. I wanted...NO...needed to make myself a lobster sandwich. It was for my birthday lunch. It was totally worth it. I'd do it again. Don't judge me.
This is such a simple sandwich but with the homemade mayo and the Dutch Gouda (also a million dollars, by the way)  it was sooooooooooooooo addicting. Totally worth having to mortgage the house to buy a can of lobster and some cheese. 


Lobster Sandwich with Homemade Dill Mayo

Ingredients
Dill Mayo
1 egg yolk
juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp prepared mustard
generous pinch of salt
2 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
1 tsp dried chives
3/4 cup canola oil

Sandwich
1 can lobster
1 cup imitation lobster (Alaskan pollock)
1/4 cup onion, diced small
1 cup Dutch Gouda cheese, cubed small
4 whole grain, hot dog rolls (the softer the better)

Directions
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, salt, dill, and chives. 
Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the oil until mayo is thick and all the oil is incorporated. (If your mayo is too thick simply whisk in a little cold water.)


In a medium bowl, toss together the canned lobster, imitation lobster, onion, and cheese until lobster is broken into fairly small chunks. Stir in enough of the mayo to make for a creamy mixture - I used about half.


Preheat broiler in your oven for about 5 minutes. Place the 4 buns on a cookie sheet and broil until the buns are lightly toasted, about 2 - 3 minutes - keep a close eye on them. 
Spread the toasted buns with a little of the mayo.
Divide lobster mixture evenly onto the 4 buns.


Serve immediately.
*Sigh*
I already want another one. It was so good. 
I would have totally used another can of lobster instead of the imitation lobster except that the imitation lobster was only $3.00 instead of $17.00 and, while I could justify paying $17.00 for one can of lobster I just couldn't justify paying $35.00 for two. 
*Sigh*
Maybe it tasted better because I knew it was probably the most expensive sandwich I've ever eaten. Or, maybe it tasted so good because lobster and Gouda on a squishy bun is the most amazing thing ever. 

For tons of fantastic links, be sure to visit these great blogs -- The Mandatory Mooch, Easy Life, Carole's Chatter
 

4 comments:

  1. WOW,It's Soooooo Good Looking, the temptation is knawing in my brain to my stomach, saying "Why Don't YOU......?????
    Will look in to prices????? Quess I'm being cheap.....but if my girl friends show up in a week This will be lunch!!!!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not have canned lobster here in Costa Rica but will make it with fresh lobster, but how much did the can of lobster weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to try a Lobster Roll!! Living in Northern WI, lobster is also very expensive but there are many places to order Lobster online and I think this New Years Eve I'm going to treat my hubby and myself to a Lobster Roll:) What the heck!! You have to slurge once in awhile:) Thanks for sharing at Four Seasons Blog Hop! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete