Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Crock Pot Garlic Paprika Chicken


Wow. I really suck at naming new recipes. 
The creative-recipe-naming gene has skipped my make up completely. 
I mean, here is a really simple, incredibly tasty recipe and I've got nothing. I'm going with Crock Pot Garlic Paprika Chicken because...well.... when in doubt name it by listing ingredients. 
I don't know how people come up with those catchy rhyming names.
*sigh*
Anyways.... this takes about 2 seconds to put together and has a great flavor. What I really liked about this was the color. Normally when you cook in a crock pot everything looks pale and washed out....you don't get that oven cooked "browned" look. The paprika in this recipe helps the chicken to have a tempting "baked" look. 
I used chicken legs as that is what I had on hand, but you could use thighs or breasts and I'm sure it would work just as well.


Crock Pot Garlic Paprika Chicken

Ingredients
1 large onion, sliced
20 cloves garlic

1/2 Tbsp oil
6 - 8 chicken legs

2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions
Spray crock pot with cooking spray. 
Place onion and garlic cloves in bottom of crock pot.


In a plastic bag, shake the chicken legs with the oil. 
In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Sprinkle over the chicken legs in the bag. to coat evenly. (If you are worried they won't coat evenly in the bag simply place them in a single layer on a plate and sprinkle the spices over them, turning to get all sides.)
Place chicken on top of the onions and garlic in the crock pot. 


Cover and cook on high until chicken is done. Should be about 4 hours. (It helps to know your crock pot. In mine it only took 2 hours on high....go figure)


Another plus to this recipe?
The onions and garlic caramelize and go extremely well on top of pasta or rice. I put mine on some leftover Kraft dinner (Oooooh...fancy, right?) I would have made some rice to go with this but..you know...leftover KD is pretty hard to beat -- especially covered in caramelized onions and garlic. 

14 comments:

  1. Did you skin the drumsticks first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you leave it to cook as is, or did you stir things around to mix the onions/garlic up with the drumsticks more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you cook this on low or not just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious. Cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how long do you cook it for on low?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cooked it on low so I am not sure. I googled "how long to cook chicken drumsticks in the crockpot on low" and several recipes suggest 8 hours. I know they would be done in way less time in my crockpot - it really depends on how fast/hot your crockpot cooks. I would say between 5 and 8 hours.

      Delete
  6. I have made this a few times and always on low (7 hrs) �� delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did u let the chicken thaw out or just put them in frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never used frozen chicken. I would suggest if you did use frozen to let it thaw first. You could put it in frozen but that would change the cooking time.

      Delete
  8. Looks good!...Will be making this soon...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete