Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Carrot & Green Grape Salad


Okay....don't run away screaming. Carrots and grapes really do go well together. 
I know...
I know...
I was skeptical too.
Our cousin, Karen, shared this recipe with us years ago and I was never brave enough to try it until just a little while ago. Let me tell you....I've been missing out.
As weird as the ingredients in this salad sound; this works. The flavors combine magically to make a tasty tasty salad. 
I can sense you still have some doubts. It's okay. I probably wouldn't believe me either. 
The only way to find out for yourself? You need to go make this. You probably have all the ingredients in your house already. Nothing fancy called for here. 
Go...make it....and then let us know if you liked it. I'm guessing you will.


Carrot & Green Grape Salad

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup shredded, aged, light cheddar cheese
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
3/4 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup green grapes, quartered
2 Tbsp French vinaigrette dressing
3 Tbsp light Mayo

Directions
 Put all the ingredients into a medium size mixing bowl.


Stir until well combined.
Chill at least 30 minutes before serving. (If you are making this before hand you will want to squeeze as much moisture out of the carrots as possible using a cheesecloth as the liquid will settle in the salad and make it mushy. If you are serving it right away this is not necessary.)
According to Myfitnesspal for 1/2 cup serving (of which, the recipe makes 8) the info goes like this:
95 calories, 7 carbs, 6 fat, 5 protein.
This is a really pretty dish to go on a plate. An interesting, inexpensive dish to take to your next BBQ. 
Go on...don't be scared...
 
Be sure to visit The Mandatory Mooch and Adorned From Above for some fun links!

4 comments:

  1. I love your recipes so I trusted you guys and made this. I can't believe how good it is. I can't get any of my own family to try it but I will make it again for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you gave it a try. :) And thank you so much for the lovely compliment!

      Delete
  2. Do you make the French Vinaigrette Dressing or buy it already made? I don't know if you have the same brands of bottle dressing there as we have here but we have brands such as Kraft or Wishbone, to name a couple of French Dressing which are an orange color, is this what you are talking about or do you make homemade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the orange looking French dressing, it is more of a cream color. It should say French Vinaigrette on it not just "French dressing". If you google it that might give you a better idea. We buy ours but may give homemade a try in the future. (I may try the orange looking dressing though - it might also go really good on this!)

      Delete