Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Black Bean and Rice Veggie Patties


Holy heck! Third blog in a row. That's a new record for me. 
Sue here -- yet again -- with the last of the recipes from my daughter's birthday party. (I also shared the Sweet & Spicy Nuts and Pineapple Jalapeno Poppers)
This is one of my favorite veggie patty recipes. I've been making it for years. It is a teeny tiny bit fussy to make but the end results are totally worth the effort - at least, in my opinion.
If you give these a try please leave us a comment and let us know what you think!



Black Bean and Rice Veggie Patties

Ingredients
1 tsp oil + 1 tsp oil
1 small onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced fine
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 cups canned black beans
1 cup cooked brown rice (Or white/basmati/jasmine - up to you)
2 cups fresh bread crumbs, fine

Directions
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large frying pan. Cook the onion, red pepper, and garlic about 5 minutes - until veggies are softened.
Turn off the heat but leave the pan on the burner. Stir in the spices and ketchup.
In a food processor, process the onion mixture, black beans, and rice until well combined.


Scrape into a large bowl and stir in the fresh bread crumbs. 
Make into patties (I usually get 4 or 5)


Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for about 20 minutes.
When ready - heat the large frying pan again with another 1 tsp of oil. (If you are not using a nonstick pan you may want to add more oil.)
Fry patties until browned on one side, carefully flip over and brown the other side. These basically just need to be heated through but I like to get a bit of a crust on them.


Serve hot, with or without a bun.


These are a fairly soft patty but they do hold together quite well. The flavor is crazy good. 
I always like to make these to go with regular beef burger patties whenever we have a BBQ just to give everyone a choice. These usually go just as fast as the beef burgers. 

I thought I would share a few other birthday pics of the cake Jo and I made for Kenzie.


We found a similar cake on Pinterest and thought it was too funny and decided to come up with our version of it. The monster on top is rice krispies and the cake is made up of 2 layers of chocolate and 2 layers of vanilla cake. 


The chicken was made up of leftover rice krispies. We figured the monster needed a buddy.


The birthday girl seemed to enjoy it!

Be sure to visit Chef In Training and The Mandatory Mooch and Carole's Chatter for some fabulous food and crafting links!

3 comments:

  1. My friend made these patties for a barbecue. They are delicious!! I could probably eat them everyday - thank you so much for a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family LOVES these patties! My 8 year old would eat these everyday :) Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete