Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Apri-HOT BBQ Sauce (Spicy Apricot Asian Fusion BBQ Sauce)


I'm squeezing 2 posts in today so Sue and I can finish up our apricot celebration. We have shared 12 or so recipes that have apricots as one of the main flavors to celebrate Lillooet's Annual Apricot Tsaqwem Festival. 
I saved the best for last.
Well...maybe not the best...but definitely the most popular. 
This recipe won first place in the apricot cook off savory category. Everyone seemed to love the super-de-duper spicy kick this BBQ sauce has.
I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to heat in my food so I only sampled a little of this on my burger. I love the sweetness of the apricots combined with the heat of the jalapeno and cayenne.
I wanted to make a BBQ sauce that was a little out of the ordinary so I came up with this Asian fusion blend of flavors. I guarantee it is different from anything you have had before.


Apri-HOT BBQ Sauce

Ingredients
2 Tbsp sesame oil
4 cups apricots, pitted and halved
7 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced (leave seeds in)
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried chives
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup oyster sauce
6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
4 cups water

Directions
Add sesame oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add in apricots, garlic, and onion. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients - except for water. 


Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add in the water. Bring back to a boil, turn down heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool about 30 minutes. 
Using a blender or food processor, blend, in batches, until smooth. Press through a strainer back into a large pot.


Return to medium heat and bring to a boil again. Turn heat to a low simmer and simmer for approx 45 mins to an hour, until thickened. Stir about every 10 minutes or so to ensure it doesn't burn.


You can either store in sealed containers in the fridge OR you can process it and can it using regular canning methods/water bath.  It makes 12 to 14 - 1/2 cup jars of sauce. 
It will thicken up in the fridge even more. 


Perfect for burgers, steak, chicken, fish....you name it. 
I would describe this as a spicy BBQ sauce with strong hints of apricot and subtle hints of Asian flavors that will have your guests wondering just what the heck the ingredients are. 
Bring this to your next BBQ party and everyone will think you are a super genius. 
**
Sue and I hope you have enjoyed all of our apricot recipes over the last 2 weeks. 
We look forward to next year's Apricot Festival to come up with even more recipes to share with you. 

Looking for some more great links? Check out Carole's Chatter!

2 comments:

  1. Spicy is just my thing. I imagine this to be spicy with a smidge of sweetness from the apricot. sounds like a winner, indeed!
    Thank you for sharing w/ See Ya in the Gumbo this week--along with all of your apricot creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best BBQ sauce I have tried! Thank you

    ReplyDelete