Wednesday, May 15, 2013

No Bake Vegan Berry Tarts


I don't often venture into the vegan treat world. To be honest, I find it a little frightening. I like eggs, I like dairy, I like meat.  I am opening myself up to trying vegan/vegetarian things more often though. So far our experiences have been pretty good.
I wanted to try this recipe because I just thought it looked so pretty in the magazine (Alive Magazine May 2013). It turned out as pretty as the photos in the magazine. As long as you have a food processor or blender, this is super easy.
As far as what I thought about the tart overall....hmmm...it was good. Not fantastic-crawl-over-broken-glass-amazing BUT...it was good.
Very filling, very smooth, very flavorful.
Unfortunately, to me, it tasted "healthy".
Okay...okay...okay.....don't roll your eyes at me. I know "healthy" is not a bad thing. It's just not what I'm used to. I'm used to full fat, heavy-on-the-calories-and-fat-and-carbs.
It is my opinion that, as long as you go into this dessert knowing it is going to be a little different from "normal" dessert, you will like it.
For those of you out there who eat vegan/vegetarian often -- I hope this meets your expectations for a sweet treat. Please let me know what you think!


No Bake Vegan Berry Tarts
(adapted from Alive Magazine May 2013)

Ingredients
Crust
3/4 cup almonds
1 cup raisins
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger

Filling
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup honey
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp vanilla

Topping
extra fruit to decorate

Directions
Spray 4 small tart pans (or a large) with cooking spray, set aside.
In a food processor, process almonds until finely ground. Add in raisins and process until fine. Add in oats, coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, and ginger.
Process until everything is moist and mixture sticks together when pinched.


Press firmly into prepared pan (s). Place in freezer while you prepare filling.
Filling - place berries in food processor.


Process until smooth. Strain pureed fruit through a strainer to remove skins and seeds. Set aside strained fruit. Discard the pulp with the skin and seeds.
In the food processor, process cashews to a paste consistency. Add in the pureed fruit, honey, lemon zest, and vanilla. Process until smooth.
Spread evenly over the crust (s).


Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up.
Serve with additional fruit.


This is quite filling. I would say one of the 4 little tarts would serve 2 people, at least.


Would I make this again?
Probably.
I think I would make a few more teeny tiny changes. Maybe serve it with whipped cream (Of course, a non-dairy whipped cream to maintain the vegan aspect of this treat), maybe use a fruit that is a little more tart, such as raspberry, apricot, or blackberry or even try it with peach and banana combo (there are tons of possibilities), and...maybe add a pinch of coconut to the crust.
If you are trying to eat healthier and still count treats in your menu, then you may want to give this one a try. It is definitely something different and is definitely healthy.

**UPDATE** - It has been brought to our attention that honey is not vegan. You can substitute maple syrup or similar sweetener to make it truly vegan. Sorry for the mistake. We are always learning!! :) 

Be sure to visit Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and My Turn (for us) and Blissful and Domestic for some great links!

2 comments:

  1. Honey is NOT vegan. Simply, in the process of collecting honey, lots bees are killed. Other than that, they look very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. You could substitute maple syrup for the honey to make it vegan.

      Delete