Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pina Colada Ice Cream


I was feeling tropical today.
I'm guessing it had something to do with the thousand degree temperature and blazing sun.
What could be more tropical than pineapple, coconut, and rum?
Sue and I always used to order virgin Pina Coladas when we were little and felt pretty important drinking out of the tall glass with a slice of pineapple speared with a tropical paper umbrella on the side. Or else a virgin chichi which, we eventually came to learn, was exactly the same thing. (Chichi is vodka, pina colada is rum)
I wanted to make a simple (read - non-custard base) ice cream that reflected these tasty flavors. I got a few hints from the internet and then set about creating my own.
I think I was fairly successful recreating the taste of a pina colada but, if I'm going to 100% truthful here, this wasn't my favorite ice cream.
The texture of the coconut and pineapple in the ice cream was a little odd. I prefer my ice cream smooth and silky.
That being said....if you are looking for a tropical treat to enjoy then definitely give this a whirl. It is very summery.
Oh, yeah, and it's vegan - if that is a thing for you....


Pina Colada Ice Cream

Ingredients
1 can (13.5 oz) cream of coconut
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
3 Tbsp pineapple juice
1 cup toasted, shredded coconut
3/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 Tbsp rum
1/4 cup caramel sauce

Directions
Mix all ingredients together, except for caramel sauce, in a medium bowl until smooth.
Chill in fridge for at least 4 hours.
Pour cream mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
After ice cream maker stops, scrape into a 9 X 9 pan and flatten with a spatula. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the ice cream. Use the spatula to swirl sauce into ice cream.
Scrape back into a covered bowl and freeze until solid.
 

I added the caramel sauce as I didn't find the ice cream sweet enough for my tastes. You can leave it out if you prefer.
I sense a lot of ice cream being made this summer if this heat continues.
Hmmm.....what flavors to do next?

Check out Carole's Chatter for more great pineapple recipe links!

5 comments:

  1. I NEED this!!!!!!!

    ~Kerry~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this tonight. I AM IN LOVE! I didn't add the caramel sauce for my taste but sooooooo creamy good! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know the nutritional values of this ice cream? It sounds dreamy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking this lovely ice cream in to Food on Friday. Have a great week.

    PS A big thank you too for following Carole's Chatter. I have followed you guys right back.

    ReplyDelete