Saturday, July 28, 2012

Creme Brulee Ice Cream


I feel delightfully evil right now.
Like, tenting my fingers, arching one eyebrow, and cackling "Mwah ha ha" kind-of evil.
See that photo above?
It's Creme Brulee Ice Cream.
Maybe I need to restate that so you understand the importance...
CREME.
BRULEE.
ICE.
CREAM.
Yes, it tastes amazing.
Yes, it is incredibly smooth and silky.
Yes, you torch the sugar on top so you get to hear that amazing crack when you eat it.
Yes, it is everything you would hope it will be.
I feel like I invented the best food in the world right there.
Okay, maybe I didn't "invent" it.
Let's say "perfected it".
Pure evil genius.


Creme Brulee Ice Cream

Ingredients
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2 cream (or whole milk)
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
2 cups whipping cream (heavy cream)
1/4 tsp salt
extra sugar for sprinkling (about 10 - 12 tsp)

Directions
Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and light yellow.
In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 & 1/2 with the vanilla bean pod and scraped vanilla seeds until steaming and one or two bubbles break the surface. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
Remove bean pod and discard (or save for another use).
Slowly pour the hot 1/2 & 1/2 into the egg yolks while constantly whisking (or in the bowl of a running stand mixer) Do this slowly so you don't curdle the eggs.
Pour back into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until custard coats the back of a spoon. Be careful not to overcook or it will curdle.
Remove from heat and pour through a sieve into a bowl. Stir in the 2 cups of whipping cream.


Chill for several hours or overnight.
Pour chilled cream mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
When it is finished processing spoon into ramekins and smooth tops.

(I got 6 large ramekins and 6 small ramekins)

(Ooooooh smooth and silky)

Freeze until solid. (At least 3 - 4 hours)
Remove ramekins from freezer about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle approx 1 tsp of sugar on top of each ramekin. Use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar.


Enjoy.
Okay. I didn't wait until it was frozen completely solid. I couldn't wait that long. I waited about an hour before bringing out the torch and caramelizing away.
Oh.my.gosh.
Amazing! (If I do say so myself...hehehe)
I can't wait until it is "frozen" frozen so it stays a little more solid. As you can see from the above photo it got a little melty.
It's okay. I still managed to get through it just fine.
*Sigh*
I suppose it would be wrong of me to eat the entire batch.

**UPDATE** - Okay, here are some pics of the ice cream after I let it freeze hard.
Oh. My. Goodness.
Go make this.


Go ahead...


Have a bite.....

Pop over to Kayla's Creations for great links.
Six Sister's Stuff has fun links too!
Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons has some links worth checking out too!
Want even more links? Then go to A Crafty Cook's blog.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, now I don't have an ice cream maker, but I'm pinning this anyway, who knows, maybe I'll get one someday and Creme Brulee is one of my favorites ever. This does sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my ice cream maker is probably one of my most used appliances now. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my word! I just got an icecream maker. This is getting pinned for later. Thanks for sharing at my link party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were featured over at my blog today. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/09/1-month-of-fun-september-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I love the recipe. But I do not have an ice cream maker. Any other method that I could do this recipe without an ice cream maker :-)

    Hope to get your reply. Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wilson, Here is a helpful article by David Lebovitz with easy how-to for making ice cream without a machine. Hope it helps! :) http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

      Delete
    2. Thx Jo and Sue for your wonderful idea. I will try your recipe

      Delete